[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update, paws

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:57:51 EDT

I received the following from our federation this AM, which BTW has  NOT
taken a stand against.  Looks like they are clarifying the #s (see item  3).
That's always the way I read/understood it, (6 litters AND 25 other  dogs,
which
to me anyway, is a whole lot 'o dogs <G>), but maybe some will  feel better w/
a clarification.

On Monday, September 12 Jim Holt gave a presentation on the progress that  is
being made to address the concerns about the PAWS amendment that have been  ar
ticulated by many in the dog fancy.  He was pleased to report that in his
ongoing conversations with the amendment's sponsors the following times will be

addressed;

1.  The confusion about the language regarding hunting, breeding and
security dogs will be corrected and those references will be returned to their
original place within the definition of "dog" where they have been since the
AWA
bill was first written over 20 years ago.  The reference will no longer  appear
in the amendment.

2. The exemptions for breeders who sell 25 or less puppies or sell the
offspring of 6 or less litters and sell no more than 25 other dogs will be
clarified so that the Senator's intentions in the amendment will be perfectly
clear.

3. Shelter, rescue and legitimate non-profits will be clearly exempted
within the language of the amendment

4. the reference to the sale of more than $500 worth of "other animals"  will
be removed from the retail section of the amendment and clearly placed  back
within the wholesale  sales section of the AWA and the  amendment.

5.  Parts of the references to source records will be clarified so  that
sellers will not be required to keep separate records under state  regulation
and
AWA regulation.

Jim is reasonably certain that the above changes will be made during  the
markup session of the Senate Agricultural Sub-Committee. The scheduling  of
this
session has been delayed by the Senate's attention to the Supreme Court
hearings and the Katrina relief efforts.   He is continuing to work  with the
sponsors on language that would exempt those who breed and sell for
competition
regardless of numbers, although the loopholes would be very  difficult to
identify and close.  We will keep you posted on this.

As you could see from Jim's report, he is doing exactly what the  majority of
the AKC Board hoped he would be able to do when they approved his  continued
involvement in the process.  His final words express the thoughts  of many of
us who have been involved in the legislative process -- "We would  rather have
them do it with us, than to us".

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!
visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_