[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update on the unfortunate events in NY

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

At this time, 7 of the dogs who were surrendered have been euthanized by the
agencies that are holding them.  Contrary to information I received, the
President of the Rescue was NOT arrested; she was merely charged according to
newspaper articles. According to some people, not all of the dogs were GSD's.
This is a tragedy for all involved. We can only hope that as the facts of the
case come to light, we can only keep the remaining dogs in our thoughts.
I AM angry that the AGSRA was not contacted regarding the seizure of these
dogs. German Shepherds do not always fare well in all breed rescue situations;
they should have been with an EXPERIENCED group of GSD rescues who could
appropriately ascertain their temperment and health issues. We are trying to
save our own breed.
I am concerned that the temperament test that was used would have been
difficult for ANY GSD to pass, let alone a dog that was in an extremely
stressful situation.
Dawn Restuccia

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven