[ SHOWGSD-L ] UPDATE - Vet wanting to adopt - please crosspost

  • From: brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:53:28 +0000

This was from one of the original crossposters.
Dana writes:
Since I cross posted the e-mail last week it has become widely circulated with
my name and phone number.  I have gotten back posts that have evolved from my
original post yet still have my name and phone number (that is both a concern
and a lesson) and have gotten a lot of phone calls wanting more information.  I
was not directly involved in this adoption but have made an effort to verify
facts.
The vet did apply to a rescue for a large breed dog and gave her place of work
in her application.  The screener in the rescue was not satisfied with the
answers to questions she posed but not anything more than a "gut
feeling"--nothing that would cause alarm.  When she checked into the place of
business she found it to be a research lab that uses dogs--this did cause alarm
and she sent out the e-mail that I received and cross posted.

Since then I have talked to a rescue in Ohio that has checked on the research
lab and says they DO NOT take dogs off of the street--if I understand correctly
they are bred for genetic consistency.

While I am sure lots of us would consider a person that works in this type of
research a DNA, the assumption that she is adopting rescued animals for
research has absolutely no proof that I am aware of and according to the rescue
in her state is probably incorrect.

If you cross posted the first DNA post, please do the same with this one.