[ SHOWGSD-L ] UPDATE Help needed ASAP, long

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jolingsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

No matter what has transpired and no matter what he gives to his owner, he is a
dog and requires leadership.  She needs to see the results of leadership AND
experience leadership for herself.  Once she sees how completely calm he can be
with her if she is his leader, she will take on the roll.  She needs me or
Caeser to show her the way.

  I am in Miami.

  I have 5 dogs, IN THE HOUSE, they are calm all the time, unless they can find
something to get excited about.  They stop, all but one, as soon as I tell them
to.  The one is my oldest and I let him go too much when he was young.  Now at
the end of his life I will only push him so much.  He is reflexive not
responsive and I feel he is now older than me.  So I just don't push to retrain
him much.  He is otherwise a great dog, thanks to me.

  It is all about the leadership.  A calm happy leader has calm happy dogs.  A
human who does not lead has dogs ordering them around.  It is not pretty!!!

  I have a client with a Rhodisian.  The dog is so desperately submissive that
the wife being pregnant and with a toddler is too tired to dominate as much as
the dog needs.  They were considering placing her cause they feared for their
toddler and the impending child.

  After being reminded about leadership by phone and a visit from me, they know
the breeder will take the dog for as long as they need or place her in a new
home, but instead the wife has chosen to work around her tiredness and the
dog's deep submission by crating her whenever things require more than the wife
can put out.

  In one day the dog is behaving better is more calm and relaxed.  She is not
pushing the child around any more either.

  Leadership and training.  That is all there is for dogs!!!!
  sheila
Linda Delarso <jolingsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi , I want to THANK everyone who wrote to me with suggestions. I can't
thank you enough. The update is he is at the vet as I type this getting his
ears checked out and a full blood panel.
However, we met with a trainer last week, and we all feel he needs stronger
leadership! He did very well with different sounds , when she MADE him do a
sit stay. He was noticeable more relaxed.

The background of this situation is too, that his owner ( the woman of the
house) lost her sister/best friend at 41 about 5 months before getting
him(they suspect foul play on top of it!), and he was always her source of
comfort, he is such a love really. She told us that night that when she
would lay there and cry he would lay on top of her nuzzled up. She is still
going thru emotional trauma , as her niece and nephew where 'given away
basically' so there still is a lot of emotional stress on her and I think he
senses that as well. And to see him is to love him. His name is Boyd, as in
Boyd Bears, he truly is a black and red teddy bear. BUT unfortunately he
hasn't seen her as a leader.. you know a GSD needs a leader! So we went
over all this and she has exercises to do along with a exercise routine for
him as well.

So thanks a ton and keep your fingers crossed!!!

Linda DeLarso

Narvon, Pa.

Jolin Shepherds

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.