[ SHOWGSD-L ] UNDERSTANDING INTERNET SECURITY

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:46:59 -0500
On 18 Feb 2012, at 9:30, Ken Tank wrote:

You don't get viruses or malware simply from visiting a known website. You
get it from clicking on phony applications or links and these can be on
any website. Ken

<REPLY>

WRONG WONR WRONG

Your email will open "attachments" if they are embeds so it is up to your anti
virus program to
stop it. This is why the list does not accept HTML emails, embeds or
attachments.

You can get anything from just visiting a website/facebook page.  I repeat - it
is in the javascript
of the webpage and it will execute without your doing anything if javascripting
is allowed.
And there are numerous exploits in IE - know to hackers/crackers that can be
used and it will
dump a critter (worm, malware etc) onto your system without your knowledge. And
cookies
contain keyloggers that report back.

As previously stated, Critters are very different than VIRI.  Critters turn
your machine into a spam
server.  Viri destroy.

And some of the critters actually give you a pop up that looks like your anti
viri popup, saying
you have a critter, click here to fix, and when you do, it uploads a payroll
worse than than the
original payload.

I have been doing Internet Security for over 10 years, taught it on the masters
level for IT
professionals.  TRUST ME, I know what I am talking about!

However, if you do not believe me, try searching on getting infected by going
to a webpage

Here is just one example:
http://mikescomputerinfo.com/viruses.htm
Spyware and Malware is getting really bad on the net, you can get infected just
by going to the
wrong website or through applications on Facebook or MySpace.

And here is a service that will check a webpage for viri, malware using URL VOID
http://www.tekgazet.com/check-websites-for-viruses-malware-reputation-with-
urlvoid/net/1949.html