[ SHOWGSD-L ] Two Long Coat Need Rescue

  • From: LEWIEB@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:33:23 EST

First of all I would like to say thank you to Dawn for monitoring the  Rescue
Boards for dogs who are in need of help.  I also was sent a post  from
another person who said they visited these two dogs who are at Winding  River
Board
Kennel and are going to be put down.  Thought I should tell you  the rest of
the story.

Winding River is my Vet. Dr. Dan Hecker, the Kennel is about 3/4 mile  from
my house and we have visited these two dogs many times.  Yes, the  owner moved
to Germany, paid the board for many months and then just  stopped.  I do not
know who posted these dogs were friendly, they are  NOT.  You cannot feed them
without being attacked, bared teeth and all  that.  You actually have to let
them outside, put their food inside and  then let them back inside to eat.
Close the door so you can clean up their  run while they are inside.  Make eye
contact, the war is on.  Several  club members have tried to help these dogs to
no avail.

Now here is the sad part about Rescue, not all dogs can be placed in  another
home.  Yes, thank goodness most can but some cannot and these two  are in
that category.  When posts are sent out across the country it all  seems cold
hearted and that is just not the case.

When Anne Mackey, who is currently trying to capture a loose and very wild
dog that is running Swope Park, tells me there is no hope for these two dogs
you  know it is serious and a true shame.

So to Dawn and others, thanks for being there and for making sure everyone
is aware of how much Rescue is needed and how important it is to be a
responsible breeder and responsible pet owner.  However, maybe we can  work
together
with educational materials and an objective to reduce the number  of dogs
needing rescued.

Lew