[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Try again

  • From: "Deena Canals" <dc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:34:59 -0500

> We are not an unofficial arm of either group.  It was formed because we
> were taking abuse on
> other lists.

The administration of this list undertook a project to obtain and publish
the views of GSDCA candidates.  My understanding this was not an official
act for the GSDCA but courtesy to the listers of this list.  I commend you
for your thoughtful action and the support you wanted to offer the breed in
this endeaver.  However...only members of the GSDCA will be allowed to view
the results.  I am a member of this list (although perhaps not in good
standing at the moement), I have passwords to the members only section.
Myself and other non-GSDCA members have had to put up with all the emails
about the election and about the questionaire, but are now told that the
results are none of our business - is official club business and some of the
GSDCA candidates do not want non member listers to know what the GSDCA
future leadership stands for).  When Redbook does an interview on a
Democrat, I surely wouldn't expect them to refuse to send it to their
Republican subscribers.  And for you candidates who don't want non-members
to know what you stand for - well you might want to rethink that opinion
while you are thinking about declining membership and why new people either
don't join or don't stay.

This list is routinely used by members and board to discuss the ailing GSDCA
membership numbers.  This is just one of many topics solely and directly
related to GSDCA functioning and not to AKC style showing that is handled on
this list.  Occasionally someone will say, well shouldn't this topic
discussed with the whole membership and not just this list.  Someone
replies, well almost all of the membership is on this list and it is much
easier to this way.  I personally don't care if GSDCA business is decided on
the list.  I sometimes that that its leadership lets the non list members
get screwed and left out in the cold.

ADMIN Post 01/04/05
[ SHOWGSD-L ] ADMIN - Promotion on the List - Please Read
>We wanted to do everything we could to protect the Review, which we all =
value, and which is the official publication of the GSDCA, of which most of
us =
are members, since advertising revenue is critical to the survival of the
Review.  This is a large part of the rationale for our rule against =
on-list promotion.  We view Showgsd-l as an asset to the Fancy, not a
detriment =
as a competitor with the Review, or in any other way as a force inconsistent
=
with the objectives and well-being of the GSDCA.

Sounds like official support of the parent club.  Non GSDCA members can not
promote their dogs on the list due to the rules (not saying I don't agree
with the rule).  However the rule according to this email was not set for
the benefit the listers but to protect the GSDCA magazine.  A noble and
worth while thought, but hardly consistant with not functioning as an
extension of the PC Club.

The attitude is routinely expressed on this list that specialty shows ae
superior to All Breed shows.  All Breed shows are truly AKC showing.

Read your archives.  Compare the number of posts here lately that are
strickly about GSDCA business and have nothing to do with showing or
breeding better dogs, but with improving the PC, and tell me again this list
is not mainly about supporting the GSDCA members.

Deena Canals