[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: True Thanksgiving story

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:20:55 -0500

"Doris E" <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Well, he became our watchturkey.  He would not allow strangers out of
their cars, and he regularly accompanied me wherever I went.

Cool story, Doris!  We had a "watchduck" for many years.  "Quackers" was the
alpha bitch and terrified people and animals alike!  She thought she was a dog
and actually slept *on top* of the dogs at night.  The whole community knew and
loved her -- except for one person who decided we were cruel for not allowing
Quackers to live on a body of water.  (Quackers did have her own decent size
swimming pool.)

Anyhow, my parents were convinced Quackers had to be relocated to a pond about
a mile from the house.  My sister and I protested loudly (i.e. bawled our eyes
out) to no avail.  Quackers was taken to the pond, but returned home 3 days
later.  Her feet were bloody, but she made it back home alive!  She recovered
and lived to be an old ducky, but was eventually attacked and killed by a
wandering Dobie who jumped the fence.  Quackers was buried in the backyard
alongside the dogs that she loved and outlived.

Doris, thanks for bringing back fond memories of our watchduck!

I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving!

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam