[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Toxic Gut

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:51:03 -0400

I agree, Cathy.  The only time I witnessed this was when I bought a
beautiful sable male pup.  I had him for 3 weeks--good eater, outwardly
healthy, excellent temperament--you name it, he was IT.  He ate a good
breakfast before I went to school, was happy and alert in the kennel.  When
I got home from school, his back was arched like a cat and he was in obvious
pain.  Gums were pale gray.  I rushed him to the vet's, where Doc did an
exploratory surgery.  He said that when he opened him up he was like jello
inside.  He died.  It was toxic gut.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog

Hi All,
Well, I was  going to put my two cents in, but I will. About 10 years ago I
lost 3 bitches to TGS, they were 5 month, two years  and 8 year old. There
were no warning signs, except not eating and depressed and taken to the Vet
immediately, as when my dogs do not eat,
something is wrong. The pup was gone within hours of the first sign
something was wrong, the two year old made in through the day and died early
the next morning, my Vet was so upset he did a necropsy at 6am when he found
her. When he check her a 1am, she was doing fine, when he opened her up, he
said her insides looked like she had been dead for days, intestines were
black. She was the first one I lost and then I live the nightmare two more
times. My 8 year old made it almost 3 days, but the Vet said we were not out
of the woods and we lost her the next morning.

This is one of the most hideous diseases that I have ever seen and I hope
never to see it again, these girls did share one bloodline and I had never
had anything like this until that line into my house, so I am a firm
believer that this is genetic. My dogs also, were given Probactic daily with
their food, but it did not help them.

I would rather have a dog with HD, as they can live a long healthy life with
that, then ever see something like TSG again in my life.

Cathy
Kelstar

fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EarthLink Revolves Around You.