[ SHOWGSD-L ] To Cull or not to Cull....that is the question!

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:55:55 -0500

As a person who loves to write, I am constantly looking for new material
to write about, so either an idea will come to this "quest for
knowledge" brain of mine, or sometimes I will go searching for new
material on the web.  Today for some reason, I was thinking about a very
unattractive "runt" puppy that was born in a litter that I bred many
years ago.  Many breeders would have let her die.  I did everything to
save her, mouth to mouth, etc.,etc.  My vet told me he couldn't have
done a better job himself.  Yes, she lived and was sold into a loving
pet home.   It got me to thinking about the issue of culling litters.

I remember years ago reading about how puppies were culled in Germany,
and only the best were chosen to live and no more than (I believe it was
6 pups???) were allowed to live.   So I looked this topic up and went on
many other Lists of different dog breeds and there were many lively
conversations about this issue.  As in any topic of this nature, there
was pro's and con's surrounding this controversy.  I have heard of it
being done in our own country years ago as well.  The thing that I found
even more shocking was that some breeders would raise some of their dogs
to even up to a year old and if they didn't turn out to be the
"superstar" that they were looking for, they'd put them down.  That dog
they're putting down, could have been someone's loving companion, could
have helped the blind, could rescue a victim from a landslide and all
the many other things our wonderful breed is known (and may I add) been
bred to do.

I just read an interesting article about culling and the reasons for
doing it.  In my opinion, there is a difference in culling (killing) or
weeding out inferior breeding stock.  Weeding out inferior breeding
stock would mean making sure they weren't used in anyone's breeding
program by having them neutered and sold into pet homes.  The article
said a lot of culling was done when some breeders would inbreed or line
breed too close and many problems were seen......all for the sake (or
should I say sacrifice) of looking for that one "superstar."

Yes, we all know if they were in the wild, nature would take care of
eliminating the inferior and weak.  But they are not in the wild.  We
brought them into the world................and no it does not give us
the right to take them out.  If man was still living in the caves, the
sickly would die off also, but man doesn't live in the caves any more
than dogs live in the wild anymore.  We do whatever we can to help the
less fortunate man who is born disabled, and because you are responsible
for bringing that puppy into the world, you owe him the same
consideration.

I can understand if a puppy is sickly, and you have to do the humane
thing of putting the sorrowful baby to sleep, but strictly for cosmetic
reasons is a whole different thing all together.  IMHO, when one puts an
older dog to sleep if should ONLY be because the animal is old and can
no longer function, a very sick animal who is in pain, a very aggressive
animal who would be a menace to society or to your family.  All other
reasons are off.  If you brought the animal in to the world, and he's
not quite what you were hoping for, then you have a moral responsibility
to place that dog in the proper loving home.  When a breeder lets his
ego get in the way, then IMO, he's not a breeder at all........he's an
egomaniac.   Barbara Galasso