[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Capitalize or Not to Capitalize

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>, <kennadale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:40:01 -0600

Actually, it's a matter of style.  Webster's 10th Collegiate Dictionary says
it's German shepherd. Associated Press Stylebook, the bible for newspaper
editors, says to use Webster's New World Dictionary [which isn't on my desk]
and, if it isn't in this dictionary, to capitalize words derived from proper
nouns and use lowercase elsewhere.  AP gives the examples basset hound and
Boston terrier. Chambers [British dictionary] lists German shepherd and
German shepherd dog.

Specialty magazines such as the Review and the AKC Gazette may very well
have determined that in *their* publications, they will capitalize all the
words in the name of the breed and therefore will use German Shepherd Dog. A
publisher of books about various breeds could decide to follow Webster or AP
or could decide to capitalize all the words in the breed name.

Most publications follow a style guide.  Academics follow style guides, some
using Chicago Manual of Style, some using APA Style [American Psychological
Association.] It's to assure consistency in the publication and to avoid
confusing readers. But many publications develop in-house style guides to
deal with issues particular to their region or their area of specialization.

My personal preference is to capitalize all the words, but I wouldn't do so
if I were writing a letter to the editor of my local newspaper.

Fran in Denver