[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better the Breed ( oops, I pressed send instead of save )

  • From: Rikers123@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 06:24:49 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2005 4:37:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx writes:
Denise,  I think Pam is saying that if the dogs that are being shown are to
be looked  at as studs and brood bitches they should be OFA'd?

The world I live in has breeders pronoting dogs as potential studs and brood
bitches....not OFA'd, not prelimbed...just babes of Champions. That's enough
to bring around the no-minds.

Why not do what you  can??

You can't regulate ethics. If showing dogs started at 2 yrs of age ,  that
would be a thought, but they start at 6 months of age. Showing is not just  to
judge the stud dogs and brood bitches . It is for judging what has been
produced too,  which means those not old enough to be OFA'd. Sometimes  those
younger ones are better than the older ones that day in the ring. The best
regulations one can go by are the ones you set yourself. Our first instinct
when
someone tells us we have to do something is to say jump off a ledge. I'm  the
first one to do exactly the thing I am told I cannot do <g> and smile  the
whole
time. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to do what I feel is right  for the
dogs. It just means I don't like being told I have to do something. If  your
gut says OFA, then do it. Don't breed to dogs or bitches that aren't OFA'd.
It's that simple in this land of " ya can't make me ".
JMO

Denise  Groenewald
_www.greenwoodshepherds.com_ (http://www.greenwoodshepherds.com/)