[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: This is an excellent article on movement!

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RckyIizard@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:54:13 -0500

Just so y'all know...they don't "go up in front" because the topline is
steep.  Most (not all, just most) toplines are steep when dogs are
stacked because they are set up that way.  The good dogs move with their
toplines level, just are stacked with a steep topline...that's what most
of us like.
    They run uphill (go up in front) because of fronts that don't match
rears..not many fronts can have the extreme angles found behind on a lot
of dogs...but there are entirely too many fronts with short, straight
upper arms...some with fairly straight shoulder blades as well...that
short, straight upper arm will make the dog "lift" and appear to be
trying to climb a wall, especially if held on a really tight lead while
running as fast as it can.  They lift higher and higher the faster they
go.  Sort of have to, to get out of the way of that far reaching
underdrive from behind, even with a decent fore assembly...but the short
upper arm, even with a well laid back shoulder, makes them lift and "go
up"-- it's a terrier front...which is why terriers aren't running around
like mad.  That kind of front doesn't work with speed at the trot.
    The steepness of the topline is usually from the stack.  If a dog is
so over angulated behind and straight in front, he'll be pretty
steep...off hand I can only remember one GSD who was like that, altho
there may be more.
Peggy