[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: This IS gonna cause Trouble

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: stormygsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:40:56 EST

> >Syd has a good point..why do they cut us off? should the rules change a
> >bit..maybe be more relaxed to foster good dialoge?..To me..since some have
> >chosen to incorporate German lines with amercian show lines..the
> discussion
> >of German /Amercian is very pertinent for the List...I find it much more
> >enlightneing then discusiing toenails, puppy poop, dog food brands and
> >brags...if nearly all things controversial are forbidden...then what
> >seperates us form a "pet List". I have heard from others privately that
> >they enjoy the more "heated" discussions ...I think the Admin should
> >referee when the posting gets personal...or insulting...Perhaps this is
> why
> >the List has lost some interest...or why others are seeking out developing
> >or joining new Lists which allow more freedom of discussion. Perhaps even
> >this subject matter might be considered taboo...I am not certain..but
> >nonetheless..it is being discussed privately...so maybe it should be
> >brought to the forefront. C.Grainger

 I agree with Christine. Many show people are also invoved in performance
activities with their dogs....and the ideal would be to have all conformation
dogs also participating in a performance venue but that will never be the case
for many reasons. Some of us do also combine american and german lines to give
us a dog we feel is more suited to our particular tastes for whatever
particular reason. I don't feel that an apology is owed to anyone for
preferring
german/american crosses or wishing to discuss the merits, and drawbacks as
well, of
the combinations.

We have finished quite a few dogs over the years ourselves and have
performance - titled a large number as well and I think to restrict discussion
to only
one aspect of a breed as versatile as ours is actually to deprive those just
coming into the breed of experienceing some of the most wonderful things about
owning a GSD.  The breed ring is not for everyone but they can still be
encouraged to look for quality in structure and motion when choosing their
companions and they can - and SHOULD - be encouraged to find the sport that
suits their
interests and their dog's abilities. Why can't this list support its members
who pursue a total dog concept and the new people coming into the breed who
are looking to find the niche where they will belong as well as being true to
its mission statement of 'Furthering and promoting the american style of
conformation showing'. These aspects of our breed do not have to be mutually
exclusive, nor should they be. It does the breed no good for the conformation
people
to segregate themselves from all other GSD fanciers...... german, performance
or whatever. The dog can certainly handle the variety of interests that an
owner may have coming into our breed. Why should they be made to feel unwelcome
or
unable to voice an opinion because this is a 'show' list? Being a 'show' list
should mean that these people are nurtured 'into' the 'conformation' sport
from whatever point they are at when they arrive on the list - not tossed aside
because they don't conform to the mission statement in its strictest
definition. I have met very few people who started out as 'show dog' owners.

I would not like to see the list become a 'working dog list' or a 'pet dog
list' or any other 'strictly this' dog list. I think it's purpose is good and
solidly presented. I just feel that it can be met while allowing some flow
between other venues and other interests so that the newcomers into our breed
see a
well-rounded picture of all that the breed is capable of.
Lynda

Check out our websites for constantly updated info and pictures
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com