[ SHOWGSD-L ] Thin Dogs and Conditioning in Summer or Winter

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:13:27 -0500

Ironic this topic came up... I was told when I picked my bitch up on Sunday
from the breeder she needed to loose 5 lbs! FIVE POUNDS!!! Now, I know Pepper
is not perfect, but her conditioning is NOT one of them. When you touch her,
you can feel ribs, but she also has muscle tone to her (biking for a mile and a
half every evening and an acre and a half to run on). I object to every bone
sticking out, including vertebrae and hip bones... This isn't healthy for dogs
and it presents an ugly feeling to many judges when they examine the dogs.

Nobody is fussier about conditioning than I am - coming from a smooth coated
breed where you can see EVERY little flaw, conditioning is extremely important.

Now, I have been laughing when I read that it is too hot to condition... Funny,
most of the handlers can bike dogs when it is hot, most of the successful BIS
dogs are conditioned in heat and cold... I condition dogs every evening, even
when the temps are up in the 80's and 90's and humid. I also condition dogs all
winter long, even when it gets down to ZERO.... Conditioning is part of owning
SHOW DOGS...

Not only is conditioning great for the dogs, but awesome for us!

JMHO.....
Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
Introducing Live Search cashback .  It's search that pays you back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback