[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: There must be a better way --

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: victorysbullseye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsdramey@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:48:02 +0000

Rules of evidence are very specific.  We once had to hold 13 pitbulls for over
2 years before the case was actually heard in court.  Total cost on the dogs,
including vet care [humane care has to take place inside a shelter too]  was
over FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.  He plea bargained down to probation and was
allowed by the judge to reclaim three of the dogs [mom and two pups that we
raised to adulthood] but couldn't afford two years worth of board and bills on
them so left them with us.   We never recovered a dime from him.
Evidence???  When PD went in with a drug warrant they were found watching a
fight video and one of the two dogs [the winner] was in the back room of the
house torn all to pieces along with another later found on another video.
Their brillant attorney just said 'establish jurisdiction' which basically
means that the fight had to happen withing our jurisdiction.  We couldn't prove
that it occurred in the County and he actually told the judge that the fight
didn't occur in Georgia'

It is EXTREMELY difficult to convict on dog fighting charges unless PD actually
busts the fight and catched folks in the act.  Chances are Vick will just end
up with probation........

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of BIS/BISS Ch Yancy ITs HT PT RA CD TC CGC BH, Helios IPO3, Ch Flair,
Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40 ATAA points], Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner]
and all the others waiting at the bridge. Website updated 06/07

From: Deb Sullivan <victorysbullseye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>