[ SHOWGSD-L ] The saga continues for 3 month old K-9 Jack at the NY State Fair

  • From: Tindrock1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:47:28 EDT

I'm sure some of you will be so glad when Jack's K-9 demo at the Fair is over
and I'm no longer writing about him and his antics!  Well, I told you that he
was on the evening news last Friday night, winning the channel's Blue Ribbon
Award!  So Sunday, I made the trek myself with my good friend Sue, not knowing
if it would be called off due to rain.  But we went anyway, and the rain held
off!   The troopers had Fair passes and a parking pass in the Trooper's
parking lot, waiting for us at the gate.  In we drove around the Fair to the
parking lot and into the barracks we went.  Asking the 5 troopers manning the
barracks if there was anyone that could give us a lift to the exhibit, we were
greeted by a 'yes, hold on, Jack (the trooper) would take us there, as that was
where he was heading since he was the 'emcee' for the K-9 exhibit!    Jack the
trooper promptly said that puppy Jack was the best puppy he'd ever seen and
what
a crowd pleaser!   (I wonder if he noticed my head swelling from that
compliment).   Off we drove in the squad car to the exhibit, and there I saw
Trooper
Jeff walking through the horticultural building with his big K-9 dog Devitt in
one hand, and little Jack in the other.  Trust me, it was difficult, but I
surpressed the desire to yell out, hey Jeff and Jack!  So we watched them wind
their way through the crowds and followed them to the exhibit.  There was
little Jack, cozy in his little kennel run inside the trooper's cabin next to
their
exhibit.  Jack's kennel was in the front, glass enclosed, but the kids were
all lined up looking down into the kennel at him.  There was Jack, playing with
his stupid yellow and orange horse toy, just having a gay old time, his Blue
Ribbon promptly displayed next to his name tag, "Hi, I'm Jack and I'm 12 weeks
old"!  So Trooper Jeff greeted us, and so did his partner Jim, who is from
downstate NY.  Jim couldn't tell us fast enough that he loved Jack and wait
until we see the demo!  Trooper Jeff said to make sure to get back at least 1/2
hour early, because the place just fills up.  Since there was not much of a
crowd watching some of the other police demos, I really didn't think that was
possible.  But we did as told.  Then the crowds started coming, and the stands
were filled, with people standing all around.  First, they did the bomb  demo
and
then the drug demo.  Then they did the armed bandit demo.  Then the emcee
said to the crowd, "now we have a special surprise for you, and out comes baby
Jack.  Prancing on the end of the lead and then the emcee says 'and this is how
we train our dogs, and Jim, the handler from downstate, picks up Jack and
whirls him over the big dog's jump, the entire time in his arms, safely
protecting
Jack.  Then the emcee says, 'but wait, we need something that is more Jack's
size, and out come 2 tiny jumps which they proceed to walk/jump Jack over.
The crowd roared!  It was adorable!  Then they walk Jack over to meet the kids,
and back he goes to his kennel.  I had to peak in one last time before
leaving, and there was Jack all sprawled out, sleeping peacefully, not even
waking up
for the next demo which included guns being shot.  Jack had to catch some
zzzz's before his next show!   This has truly been a great experience not only
for Jack, but for me, his breeder/owner.  For those who have asked, Jack is a
Sel. Ch. Kena, ROM grandson, and is out of Ch. Tindrock's Light My Fire, and
Ch.
Carob's Tazer v Berjan.   Jack is a repeat breeding of Champions Wall Street
and Fire Storm (RWD '04 National), and is especially special to me because he
was the only puppy in his litter, as was his dam Fire an only puppy in her
litter too!  Of course I have great expectations for Jack in the show ring and
I'm sure he won't let me down!  Thanks for listening, Cheryl Olson/Tindrock
Shepherds