[ SHOWGSD-L ] The rest of the story

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:10:34 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2008 12:26:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The dogs  in the Working Group were headlined by a very well known, top
winning Dogue de  Bordeaux, stunning dog.  I mean really, if you appreciate
dogs at
all,  you  know that guy is a stand out.....

When Ken and I judged ARBA, we both put this dog up to Best In Show.   I
liked him yesterday, but he has dropped a step, but still was a great second
in
the group to the Ovtcharkas.

PROFOUND THANKS TO EVAN GINSBERG FOR THE NOD ON  THIS.   It was so nice to
have a MOVEMENT JUDGE recognize her for  her suspended gait, which Caucasion
Ovtcharkas (and most Giant breeds )  don't usually have.  Also THANK YOU to
Evan for *really knowing the  standard on this breed*,

I did suspect Kathy was going to show her, and I knew there was a male  being
entered. So, I read the standard three times, and was prepared to see what  I
would see.  I may have been too critical that way, but I figured I would  at
least know what I was looking at.

and  and for not flinching when she reared up, making that noise that I
cannot  even describe ...not to say "hello" either.  He was saavy enough  not
to be "handsy " with her, or to make strong eye contact.  *Very  correct
procedure*, very well done.
(This is a breed who's standard  states "Ferocious toward, and Distrustful of
Stangers"  friendliness  and trust in strangers is penalized as a major
fault.   )

I do have to admit when I read that part of the standard, I wondered how to
judge the breed. But, at ARBA we also judge the Fila, which you cannot  touch.
 So, I put my hand on her, made sure I did not challenge her, (or  the male)
and was satisfied they were sound, without having to push them. I saw  all I
needed to see, without having to hug the dog. Even though I wanted  to.

Loved it...look forward to doing it again...but hopefully a shorter day.  LOL

I judged from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. without a break. They went to  McDonalds
for a hamburger, and we ate between classes. I think I sat down twice  all
day, and will not try to do four shows in one day again.  Today Dave  Coleman
is
doing it, and it will be interesting to get his opinion.

People often laugh and ask me "why on EARTH would you want a  dog like
THAT?!"   I can only answer by saying you'd have to see  her, and live with
her to understand.  I could never explain  it.

I can explain it. She is magnificent, and the male would take your breath
away. She is not a German shepherd, but she is impressive, and no one would
ever
 think of pushing her an inch.  This is a great deterrent to anyone who
would think of invading her space. A very interesting breed.

Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/