[ SHOWGSD-L ] The difference between handling and apprenticeship

  • From: "Val Manning" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "terranorte@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 11:33:33 -0400

When wading into the waters of developing youth to successfully show dogs - it
is not about taking the lead and running around the ring. It is about
developing character, responsibility and work ethic. For the past 15 years I
have given kids the opportunity to become show assistants (my husband says that
I can't call them dog slaves). The best ones are girls around 13/14 years of
age. They bring their jr's dog and their homework to the house & shows. School
comes first, then Jr Showmanship, then the conformation ring. They feed, clean
pens, brush & bath, and roadwork dogs between the shows. Their payment is room
and board for themselves and their Jrs. dogs..... their parents have to supply
them with a cell phone to call home and spending money. In the summer - I set
up rings at CSU's grassy oval on Wednesday nights and we hold handling classes
& work dogs. When we go to shows - these kids are schlepping crates ringside,
picking up numbers, holding dogs, and when needed taking a dog in for winners.
On the way home from the show - they are doing the accounting for what we spent
on the weekend (gas, food, lodging, entry fees, etc). At the end of the summer
- they have a much better idea of what is involved in the sport. It is much
more than just being handed the lead and running around the ring. Perhaps I
should be charging them? They don't to be paid in currency, they need to be
paid in attention and knowledge.

Val Manning
terranorte@xxxxxxx
www.ranchoterranorte.com