[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Standard and Its Interpretation

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:36:53 -0400

Due to recent discussion on the List, I think now would be a good time to
share something I read in the February, 1962 edition of The German Shepherd
Dog Review...

This excerpt is taken from the last in a series of articles written by
William E. Cotton called "The German Shepherd Dog - Its Standard and
Interpretation."  (I've put asterisks around passages that really "spoke" to
me.)

[...]  That with all the specifications in our Standard, the ability to know
a good German Shepherd Dog must be in the final analysis of the individual's
correct interpretation of the Standard.

[...]  Accept no one's opinion of a German Shepherd Dog without reservation.
Study the Standard at every opportunity.

**  Learn for yourself the laws of physics and balance which are the
foundations on which it is written.  **

Study, evaluate, and make practical application to the dogs which you have
the opportunity to see.

Agree with my [any one's] views, only when agreement can be substantiated
with facts which have their roots embedded in knowledge acquired from
self-education.

**  Disagreement and the sharing of opinions, if done with a mutual
objective to be achieved,  is the foundation on which all improvements are
made.  **

[Remarks directed at the novice breeder...]

Love the German Shepherd Dog as he has been loved by those devoted people
past and present, here and abroad, who have contributed so untiringly of
their time and devotion, to make it the breed which it is today.

**  I plead with you who are seriously entering our breed to study at every
opportunity which presents itself not only the written breed standard, but
more important the reasons which underlie it.  **

If you are not willing to do this, please, for the sake of the perpetuation
of the German Shepherd Dog, and for the sake of the thousands of individuals
who care, stay out of the breed, or at least be content to leave well enough
alone and not venture into uninformed backyard breeding.

But to those of you who are willing to devote the necessary time to study -
to those of you who are not simply satisfied with simply being told that a
certain factor should be just so, but who are willing to find out why - to
you, I say good luck.

**  If you know and know that you know - you have no reason to fear. **

Breed to the Standard.  Always to the Standard.  Do not allow personal
whims to corrupt your better judgment.  Know your "German Shepherd Dog - Its
Standard and Interpretation."

Thanks for letting me share...

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs