[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Sky is falling in Pasco County, Florida

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:50:19 EST

Cross posting permission granted
From Another list:

 This is very, very bad for the dog and cat breeding community. Avoid having
your pets microchipped. This will be another way they can track you and your
pets. L  Please cross post to all breeder and pet laws lists.

 ~Tamara

 * * * * * * * * * *
 For years breeders have said that I am like Chicken Little claiming the sky
is going to fall when I would talk about the animal rights activists and their
goal to shut down breeders. If I have your attention, you might want to read
on.

This is for those dog or even cat breeders that are thinking about making
your kennel/cattery legal. Maybe you are thinking that if you go to the local
governing body and get a business license and permits to make your breeding
operation legal you will be safe. After all, you take really good care of your
animals and no one can fault the cleanliness of your facility. Right? Let me
tell
you about what is happening in This is for t, , <st1>.

Approximately 100 dog breeders that have long established kennels are being
shut down. One breeder in particular that I have spoken to has had her license
and permits in place for 16 years. She has never had any complaints or any
type of citations. She runs a model kennel with glowing comments about the
great
care she provides to her dogs. Much to her dismay, two weeks ago she was
issued a citation that states it has been determined that the county now plans
enforce their 9 dog pet limit law and it will apply to all breeders as well.
She felt this must be a mistake since her permit was for numbers up to 49 dogs.
Her permit is current !!!! County officials assured her that they fully intend
for her to reduce her numbers and to do it within 90 days. She was given a
possible option of applying for a variance for her property which would cost
her
approximately $1,000 but there was no guarantee that she will be approved.
She was then told that this would
affect all kennels in the county and that includes about 100 dog breeders.
You can do your own math to see what kind of money that might net to the
county.
Their reasoning was that it was costing the county $2.3 million each year to
address the overpopulation of dogs and cats, and it seemed contradictory to
give incentives to breeders via breeding permits.

So here they are with 90 days to place roughly 40 dogs each. If the breeders
don't get them all placed in that time they have already been told there will
be a large daily fine to pay. After a certain number of days, the county will
more than likely remove the dogs and take them to the already over crowded
shelters. But never fear, these dogs will probably be the lucky ones and find
homes right away because they came from reputable breeders. The county will of
course have to charge the breeder for the care of these dogs while in their
care, but I'm sure they will give any excess cash over to the kennel. Right?

My personal question is how can a county issue business licenses and permits
for that many years AND THEN determine that your zoning does not qualify for
the permits that they have issued to you and charged you to get for the past 16
years? Let's not forget that these are established breeders that invested
heavily in dog runs, pens, grooming supplies, medications, cages, carriers etc.
These are also breeders that are claiming their businesses on their income
taxes. In this one particular case, it is the bulk of her income. The county
wishes to take away her business and livelihood.

By the way, in searching the county ordinances, we have been unable to find
the so called 9 dog limit. However that is not slowing down the county from
enforcing it.

All of these breeders are faced with 3 possible options.

1-Attempt to get the variance. And what are the odds that they will approve
ANY, much less all of the 100 kennels?
2-Reduce their numbers to only 9 dogs within the 90 days.
3-Hire an attorney and start a class action law suit.

Moral of the story . . . . making your kennel/cattery legal, pretty much
places a bulls eye on your forehead. Makes it just that much easier for the
animal
control to know where you live.

Was that a brick or a shingle that just hit you in the head? Maybe just a
little part of the sky is breaking loose in a neighborhood near you. Once this
action is completed here in Was <st1, it will most assuredly be appearing in
your own neighborhood. That is how case law is set and then it spreads like
wildfire. ~~~~ Longtime breeder in , it wi, Supporter of WethePeoplePets

Please crosspost this news far & wide.

If you wish to protect your animals, please support the efforts of We the
People Pets.
We now have a 501 c (3) & (4) and you will be able to take your tax
deduction. We have a No-Kill PSA starring Laddie, the dog actor that played
Lassie,
that came to the Capitol helping to defeat AB 1634 on a crucial vote day.
Laddie & the Weatherwax Group have agreed to spearhead the No-Kill movement &
initiatives in CA. We believe that solving the shelter mismanagement is
critical at this point in time. We intend to lead the way for animal welfare
reform. WE NEED YOUR DONATIONS for the post production costs for the PSA
(Public
Service Announcement) for our No-Kill statewide initiative. This is a top shelf
production utilizing award winning talent from the Director, Director of
Photography, Grammy winning sound-mix, etc. I have already paid out many
thousands
of dollars toward this production OF MY OWN monies, and now I am pleading for
your financial support to finish these three PSAs and get these up on every TV
station in CA. PSAs will run free of charge on television stations. Let's
EDUCATE the public. What better spokesman could we have than Laddie? We expect
do a series addressing the issues at hand. initiati talent is on board to
support the No-Kill initiative. The
door has opened. Now it is up to YOU! The first three PSAs are awaiting your
help.

All contributors will be noted on the official No-Kill site: www.nokillbill.
All

These PSAs will be available to ALL PARTIES in all states, countries for
broadcast purposes.

THANK YOU!

Diane Amble
www.wethepeopleusa. w

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
                                           Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.www

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy
Awards. Go to AOL Music.