[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Sahara Forest

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cmrz4345@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:51:42 -0500

I have said that often.........and have said it over and over
again........throughout a life time.
"This should *never* happen again...."
"This should not have happened the first time."

 Each of us can fill in the blanks as regards what it is that should "never,
never, never happen again...........or what shouldn't have happened in the
first place.

"Jane".......... I say aloud to myself, after crashing the van into the side of
the garage.........

"You must never, never, never let this happen again."
"This should not have happened the first time."

And guess what?

It *did* happen again.  And it didn't stop happening after the first time.

It seems to happen all around the planet earth just that way.......and over and
over again.

Oh sure, with slight variations on the theme, I grant you.........

Sometimes I crash the van into something else instead of the side of the garage.

=;-D

And it is not just *my* van.

 Other people crash their vans too.

We pass laws, make rules, amend by-laws, put up stop lights, establish policy
and procedure, manufacture bigger bumpers for our vans, read through Robert's
Rules of Order and the operating instructions, take driving lessons, visit the
motor vehicle department,..........and the vans seem to keep right on crashing
anyway.

Don't you wonder why............. just sometimes?

How come, when we all want it to "never, never, never happen again ?"

When people come to see puppies at my house, sometimes they ask me this
question.....

"Will this puppy bite ?"

If I am feeling just a little out of sorts that day, I respond with a smile,

"Will your van crash?"

;-)

If a person wants to completely eliminate *any* statistically probabilities of
a dog biting them, they need to buy a canary..........and never,never,never,
leave home.

And the same goes for van crashes.
Never even get into a van and never, never, never leave home.

OK, so obviously, trouble has a way of following us around sometimes......and
sometimes we get into trouble all on our own:

I know I do....
...because I can sometimes be  careless, make mistakes, come to a wrong headed
conclusion, choose a bad option, act from a platform of ignorance, do something
in haste, and get annoyed with someone else.

And worse.

Sometimes I did all of the above in a group called my family.

Sometimes we really did fight.......

Wow.........What a sight that was.......... !!

We didn't seem to mind when the one side voted the Republican ticket and other
side voted for the Democratic ticket..........(not too much anyway).

We didn't even get that excited when some of us made unusual choices in some
areas of life..........

What really made some of us grind out molars down to dust with clenched teeth
and stay awake nights was this........

We wanted all of us recognize a problem when we saw it and begin to do
something about fixing it..........

It wasn't so much that there were problems in life..........

(We already knew there would be problems..... problems going maybe as far back
as when Eve took a bite of the Apple and then gave her husband a bite too. He
shouldn't have listened to her that time.)

My family even expected problem to arise.

It was the "what to do about it?" and "how to make it right without making
something else go wrong ?" part of the equation that vexed us.

I don't watch Dr. Phil much............but he does have one "tag line" that
seems to hit home with me:   after his guests, in a world of hurt and trouble,
tell him what they have been doing in their lives ......... he asks.......

"How's that been workin' out for you?"

So, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised when we see trouble on the horizon
...............or see it even as close as in our own backyard.........It is how
to handle the trouble when we finally perceive the problem.

Did you know that the Sahara Desert was once known as the Sahara Forest ?

Yup, it was.  My sainted Irish grandmother told me that.
She said......

"Jane, the lumberjacks who cut down the Sahara Forest took it just one tree at
a time..........and pretty soon it was the Sahara Desert.  That's how to handle
trouble.  Take it one tree at a time.....and then  go on to the next one.......
and the next one.......and pretty soon most of the trouble is gone...........
but you need to remember to keep a calm demeanor and a good disposition
because you will need all the good lumberjacks you can get to help you."

Then she added, (God bless her Irish Catholic heart)............

"Never, never, never, never,never give up..........but maybe you could stop
being a Lutheran."

Jane Kerner