[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Grinch(es) who Kept The Ribbons - Chicago Cluster

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gsdwindborne@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:29:36 EST

At the Wheaton/Rosemont shows last weekend in Chicago, on three consecutive
days I watched each breed judge withold ribbons for various reasons.  Yes, I've
seen a ribbon or two withheld here or there, but NEVER three days running.
You may want to keep this in mind for the future.

Friday - Judge - Dr. Lee Anthony Reasin

Witheld blue ribbon from the ONLY male entered.  He felt the dog was being
doubled.  The dog's owner was outside the ring holding their bitch entry, and
believe me this man did NOT double this dog!  Didn't even LOOK at him.  When
the
handler came out to get the bitch and pull off her dog's armband, the judge
looked at his watch and rolled his eyes.  She wasn't taking ANY longer than
anyone else I've ever seen, and probably less time.  I reached over to help, as
she couldn't see the faces the judge was making.  We'd never met; at most shows
I go to I just grab dogs or hold dogs and no one thinks twice because they
know me at least by face.  This lady snapped at me (and rightly so - If someone
I didn't know grabbed my dogs lead I'd be a LOT less polite than she was).

Saturday - Judge:  Mr. Sparschu  (it might be Dr., my apologies if I have the
wrong prefix)

Witheld WB; "unsound"  (only one bitch entered, and I was watching Juniors so
I did not see the performance, but asked steward)

Sunday - Judge Lynette Saltzman - Witheld WB - One bitch was the same bitch
from the previous day, and was a bit nervous, I was too far back to see much
more, but since she hadn't done well the previous day I didn't have any reason
to question TWO judges finding her unsound.

The SECOND bitch blew my mind - IMO, should have been BOB - 9-12 mo. dark
sable with movement to take your breath away, solid temperament, clean as an
operating room, very stable temperament (never flinched on the exam).  Nice
bite,
(I'd worked with her on Friday a little, so I knew she didn't have missing
teeth or anything like that).

Judge calls WB into the ring and announces "I am not awarding Winner's bitch
today".

I spoke with her after Group, asking her opinion on the GSD's (I'm new,
looking for all the learning I can get, etc. etc. appreciate your time).  What
she
told me blew me away - "All those shepherds were PET QUALITY and UNSOUND".
She then smiled, shrugged her shoulders and said "but that is just one person's
opinion".

I had no breed entries, we did juniors all weekend, but I cannot believe the
first and third days that I have described.  I've seen Mr. Sparschu before, he
knows a good one, and if he witheld, then he had a good reason.

The dog and bitch that again, IMO, SHOULD have gotten their ribbons, were
excellent quality dogs. You don't need to see a pedigree to see depth of
quality,
but I did get to see the pedigrees and they are impressive.  BTW, MOST of the
dogs in their pedigrees are listers, and both animals have ROM sires!

I was extremely angry, which fortunately I was able to keep inside until I
got to my cell phone and called a friend and asked why such a thing might
happen.  Fortunately she understood me between the venom and swearing I saw
spewing.
 The owner & handler of the dogs was a lot more gracious - and as I said, I
HAD no breed entries!

OOPS - The dogs in the pedigrees ARE NOT listers - but there owners are!!!!

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds