[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Evolution of White to DQ

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:21:08 -0700

Thank You Tom.  ( One of our best Historians ) <G>
As I have stated many times..white was never really a desired
color within this Breed.  Some were utilized in the founding
of the Breed along with a lot colors and various herding dogs.
Seems the Captain is considered a genius until the subject of
whites come up...and then he is considered evil in his decision
to fault them.  Doesn't change the facts though.
We should appreciate his vision...as we reap the rewards with
our wonderful Breed.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:03 AM
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:The Evolution of White to DQ

In 1913 the standard of the German Sheep  Dog, as AKC then called it though
the parent club was The German Shepherd Dog  Club of America had this to
say about color.
COLOR
Black, Iron-gray, ash-gray, Reddish-tan, Reddish-brown,  either entirely of
one color or with regular markings of reddish-brown and  whitish gray, pure
white, white with dark spots (Harlequin) or black clouding on  gray, tan or
light brown with so-called wolf markings on breast and  legs.
From 1930 to 1943 the standard said this about  color.
COLOR--All colors are permissible from solid black to  solid white,
including many variations of brown, grays and mixed wolf colorings,  also
brindles.  White markings on  chest and legs are allowed.  The  undercoat,
except in
black dogs is always light in color.  The color of a pup can only be
ascertained after his outer coat comes in.
NOTE--While the permissible range of color is extremely  wide, the white
and very pale or washed-out colors are not deemed so desirable,  while
albinos, white with red eyes, are to be discarded.  The skin of the nose in all
cases should  be black.
Revised in1943 this language persisted until  1968.
The German Shepherd Dog differs widely in color and all  colors are
permissible.  Generally  speaking, strong rich colors are to the preferred,
with
definite pigmentation  and without the appearance of a washed-out color.
White dogs are not desirable, and are to  be disqualified if showing albino
characteristics.”
It will be remembered that in 1913 the  organized breed was still
relatively new even in Germany and that a variety of  herding dogs from various
parts
of the country were used in the breeds  development.  From that point on,
the evolution of the breed proceeded in a tightening process from the very
loose  description of color in 1913 when color was not regarded as important
to 1930  when white was “not deemed so desirable.
I suspect that sometime in the 1920s or  maybe earlier, Captain Max decided
that in fixing the type of the breed, having  whites along with the other
colors was not constituent.  Many rationales were given as to why  white was
undesirable or desirable, but the rationale did not matter because  what Max
decided ended the argument.
Ive read claims by the whitists to the  effect that whites were accepted
until 1968.  I dispute that.  From the very beginning of our  attendance at
dog shows almost 60 years ago we knew that white was a no-no.  I can only
recall one instance of a  white actually entering the show ring and of course
it did not place.  This was before the disqualification was  made part of the
standard.
In the February 1930 issue of The Shepherd Dog, the official  magazine
of the parent club Dr. J.W. Sherer who was prominent in the Parent Club
wrote an article.  The article was  titled “The Case Against the White
Shepherd
Dog”.  It included the following:  I will destroy or have destroyed
humanely and quickly all whelps that appear to be weaklings, those showing
deformities, white or extremely light ones and those born with heavy dew
claws”
.  This was an attempt to  insure that undesirable qualities would not be
continually  reproduced.
In 1958 a standard was written that  disqualified dogs that were more than
fifty per cent white, but this was  apparently not accepted by AKC, possibly
because of the problem of determining  what was fifty per cent of a dog.
When in 1968 the revision of the  standard was being considered, one thing
was clear: whites would be  disqualified.  Bob Reuter was club  president
living in San Diego and those of us around at the time had many  discussions
with him.  He attended  local meetings and shows.  He was  receiving a lot of
heat from the fancy about the whites.  Dog World was the main dog
publication,  which was read by the public, and it carried many ads for Rare
White
German  Shepherd Dogs.  This infuriated  mast breeders as it misled the
public into believing that whites would be  welcomed because they were rare.
An
 appeal was made to Dog World to stop the ads and the reply was that as
long as  white was not a disqualification under our standard they would
continue to  accept the ads.
Once the new standard was adopted Dog World  agreed to and did put a
cautionary notice at the head of the German Shepherd  classified ads to the
effect
that white was a disqualification under the AKC  standard.
What I wonder is, why have we not heard  from the breeders of Harlequin
German Shepherds?
I wrote this several years ago, not in response to the  current white
discussion.
TOM  BROWN