[ SHOWGSD-L ] Thank you

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 00:35:59 -0500

Ok, you all thought this would be about the recent doings with the PC. It's
not.  This is a thank you to the folks who answered my questions about
Schtzhund trials and rules.  I attended my first trial yesterday, not as an
exhibitor but as a vendor.  I was so impressed with the entire trial from start
to finish.  They had a Color Guard for opening ceremonies.  The dogs were
awesome.  It was a Schutzhund III Championship trial so these dogs were
amazing.  The people were friendly and if their dog didn't qualify, there were
no hissy fits.  It was a family event with a bouncy thing and ice cream truck
for the kids, and the adults too.  Ok, the ice cream truck anyway,  This is the
desert.

The club then had a closing ceremony with all the winners and qualifiers being
recognized.  Oh, and they had this beautiful club flag with a GSD being the
represented breed although this was an event open to all appropriate breeds.

I saw this Malinois do a hit from the full length of a football field.  This
dog is not one I want to piss off.  WOW!  The GSD's had a work ethic that was
incredible.  Ok, one of you would consider them even remotely as show dogs.
But, they were still beautiful dogs.  Mostly German and Czech working dogs.
Beautiful to watch them work.

Ok, I have American show lines and would not even try it with one of my kids.
But, I do have a Dutch shepherd that I have already started, albeit lamely, as
I don't know what I am doing, lol!  But, this is something I could sink my
teeth into.

Will I give up showing conformation?  I already have.  I have a girl here who
COULD be awesome.  But, she hates showing and loves herding.  I'm good with
that.  I am all about doing what is right for each dog.  I am seeing the real
life of politics in this club.  I have no desire anymore to fight the show
politics (being the little guy with no chance) after seeing the bigger picture.
 I would rather spend my money where I can have fun and get some satisfaction.
My American line dogs?  Well, they are all fairly young so I shall wait and
see.  I also have German working lines here.  I will just say this.  It already
seems like a divide and conquer thing within the PC.  If the PC can't decide
what is right for the membership and the future of the American show line dog,
then I am out.  I have too many other venues to explore with my dogs and can go
either way in my breeding program.

Ok, so maybe this was about current events.  But, maybe that is what swayed me
into thinking of other options.

Laura Thomas
AOL at AOL.com.