[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tending in Texas

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:29:26 -0400

I spent a week in TX learning how to do the tending style of herding.  C course.

I have put a Herding Championship on a GSD doing the fetch style work (A
course) and haven't been
able to get another GSD up & going on A.  I get them started, doing the test
classes, but the dogs'
enthusiasm wears thin when they find out there are a LOT of rules.  My
post-Chelsea dogs have been
disapointing.  None of them have had her drive!
Jack (Windy Acres' Quintessential) puts up with rules & bounces back, but he's
been way more
challenging than Chelsea was... and I didn't know a thing when I started her.
Maybe it's because
males carry their 2 brain cells in a pouch outside of the skull.... ;-)

Anyway, prior to this past week, C course was about as appealing as a good
import dog ;-) (this makes
sense if you read my post on Yasko...)  It was different & I already knew how
to herd, thankyouverymuch.

After my week of tending, I've got to admit it has many merits! I think the
years of A coursing
helped me understand the benefits better than I would've if I started off last
Tuesday with no sheep
experience.  The livestock is so much calmer & relaxed. They might even be
happy. ;-) How often do
you see sheep happy to be worked by dogs?  The dog comes off the field relaxed.
 Eager to continue,
but not energized/frantic/spazzy.  While working, he's on... but not ON.  He is
definately working,
but not working himself into a bundle of live wires.  A totally different
experience that gets the
job done just as well (maybe better due to less stress) as the other herding
style.

Jack worked the borders as the sheep grazed or laid down & chewed their cuds.
He grazed for hours as
I sat in a lawn chair & watched. (Talk about a great way to train your dog!!
Sitting on your butt
while the dog works!!) By mid-week, Jack was taking the sheep out of the graze,
taking them down the
road, putting them in the pen, taking them out of the pen... doing it all. :-)
The location in TX is very nice.  Multiple work areas for A, B & C courses, and
workable sheep.
If you're in TX, you're lucky! Elsewhere, if you get a chance to try your dog
tending, definately do so!

Now I'm going to have to wait until Spring/Summer... when I can see grass again
;-) to resume
training with Jack & to expose Hope & Zoe to tending.

My dogs are Am show line bred, but this is not the venue to easily discuss
herding. Write me
privately if you're interested...

:-)
Diane