[ SHOWGSD-L ] Temperament (was: we're not that important)

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, f.fasano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:55:22 EDT

Cases on point: military dogs.  The handlers are rotated,  the  dogs aren't
and every so many months the dog bonds w/ a new  handler.  How  could any
relationship be closer than those who  trust each other to stay  alive?
Ditto service
dogs.  At  four moths, they are often fostered,  where they bond to a family,
then  return to a training facility where they bond  to their trainer and
finally they meet and bond to their "person", and again,  can you  imagine a
relationship closer (not AS close, but closer), than the   relationship
someone w/ a
special need has with their service dog or  the  relationship of a k9 handler
and their partner?  I  can't.

Of course, we are talking about sound dogs, secure dogs.  Perhaps it's
flattering to a person when a clingy, insecure dog acts  as if their world
starts
and ends with that person, won't eat and/or  drink, whines, paces and all the

rest when their person isn't  available for any reason but IMO  it's not
quite
right in the scheme of  things and that's why for the  mental stability of
the
dogs I encourage  new owners to get them out, let them  stay places and let
them
stand on  their own (four!) feet.

Kathy

Kathy

Your examples have one thing in common.  Animals that have been  exposed and
socialized to the end, who know all is well in the world.  That  should be the
reality for ALL of these creatures.

But, in reality, not all animals are like that, most times to no fault of
their own.  Some only know one person.  And that person didn't have  the need
or
desire to socialize the animal (they didn't think ahead).

My biggest pet peeve: People who treat their animal like they were humans.
Big mistake.

I can't stand a clingy dog, I don't think is flattering or cute, I think is
weak.  Specially in our breed.  I can't stress enough how important
temperament is in our breed.  Sometimes is genes, sometimes is  environment.
Every bad
temperament is an embarrassment.  And there  are all kind of excuses, but
that's what they are, excuses.

I've worked with plenty of rescued dogs.  There are some testimonies  there
to the real temperament of this breed.  Dogs that have been thru who  knows
what and are sound.  Those are my kind of dogs.

I lived with unsound dogs, and I guess that gives me a insight into what I
like and dislike when it comes to temperaments.   Which brings me to  another
problem, lots of people don't know good temperament if it bit them in  the
rear.  But that's another topic <G>.

In the world I live, there is more than one right way and wrong way to do
things.  And I will give others the same respect I expect to receive when  it
come to my decisions.

Ileana