[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tell the truth

  • From: Cindy <sophoclesajax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:45:58 -0700

Evan,
There are regularly white German Shepherds in the kill shelters in both
California and Arizona -- as I directly work with rescue taking purebred
GSDs primarily from both Maricopa County, AZ and California pounds (via
transport/coordination from Miracle GSD Network, which operates
nationally). California and Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix metropolitan area)
are two of the highest kill places in the country.

White GSDs are certainly not a rarety in the shelters/rescue here or there,
nor is there some long wait for them here when they end up in the pound.
They are just as much at risk, devalued, and dumped. That we see more
standard/colored GSDs simply reflects that there are more of them out there
being bred, by someone.

I don't personally deal with the whites, as Arizona has a white German
Shepherd specific rescue and does a fine job. Frankly, I am happy about
that, as that is not a daily conversation I want to be having with pet
people -- the ins and outs and whys and wherefores of white GSDs/debate
within the breed or AKC. But I can tell you that more often than not when
people contact us for a GSD, they specify that they do NOT want a white GSD.

I'd be happy to send you (or anyone else) to the white GSD rescue website
here locally, so you can see just how many purebred white GSDs are in need
of homes, and how difficult it is for them to take in a new one that
appears tomorrow on the shelter kill list because they have no space/an
open foster home.

Cindy

http://showgsd.org/mail.html