[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THANK YOU WITH TEARS...liver

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: CLOVERLEIFE@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:59:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/9/2008 12:42:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
CLOVERLEIFE@xxxxxxx writes:
we found  it was his kidneys shutting down at his tender age of 11

My sincere condolences to you.  Any loss is heartbreaking, but kidney
failure is a terror.  Apparently our breed has notoriously bad  kidneys. At
lest
that is what many vets have told me.  Our Spellbiner  spend 3 weeks at the
Texas
A & M small animal intensive care on a  kidney pump, just 6 weeks before the
National when he took his 2nd select.
Kidney disease sneaks up on us with house dogs, because we just let them  out
and don't actually watch to see that they pee.  (Lack of urine  production is
second sign of serious kidney disease - first sign is  anorexia.) The dog
will actually eventually develop an ammonia smell from the  body.  By then it
is
usually too late.  It is very difficult to get  the kidneys re-started once
they are shutting down.  There are a very few  places that now do dialysis on
dogs, but it is SUPER expensive.
In 30 years, we have lost 5 bitches to kidney failure - all from different
lines. They were 5 to 7 years old.
The anorexia is really the best early clue.  One bitch was with a  handler
and had quit eating.  HE talked to me about it and had her checked  and treated
for tonsillitis.  Unfortunately the anti-biotic for the tonsils  (which were
OK), did not help the kidneys.
Again, my heart goes out to you.

Carol Moore