[ SHOWGSD-L ] Studies on DM

  • From: Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:57:38 EDT

Hi Peggy

DM does affect a number of breeds but the DM that affects German Shepherd
Dogs is a different disease than the one that affects Corgi's which is
different
 from the one that affects Boxers.

Dr. Clemmons has looked at all of these DM diseases and the work that he
does for us is specific to the German Shepherd Dog.  He has developed a DM
Flash
test which identifies whether or not a particular do carries the gene  marker
for DM. I have had 6 of my dogs tested and they are negative for the  marker.
 The marker is on the same gene location as the disease in humans  that is
Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.  Corgi's with DM do not have this  marker.
This
is why it is so important for us to be supporting Dr Clemmons  work.

You can support the Foundation, which has supported Dr Clemmons for several
years, by attending the Foundation Benefit on Friday night at the National.
You  can also log on to the AGSDCF.org website and click on donations and then
use  pay pal to make a donation.  There is a "glitch" that takes a 4.95 postage
 fee so be sure to adjust your donation for that amount:-)

Be sure to plan to attend the Foundation Benefit.  There is some  really cool
stuff planned and it should be tons of fun!!!!

Ginny Altman

In a message dated 8/27/2007 11:05:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Subject:  studies on DM

We aren't the only ones doing research on  DM........The PWCCA (the
Pembroke Corgi club) is participating in an  on-going study as well...and
there's
a link to some information (with  more links) on the home page of the
club's website.  The study is  being conducted at (or by) the University of
Missouri, and UM is also the  source of the information found when one
follows the link below.
Nothing says it has to be breed specific, and I don't know if our
study is either (probably is) but it can't hurt to look at other
information:
Peggy

Ginny Altman

"Please let me be as kind,  intelligent, and wonderful as my dog thinks I
am."