[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stud owners...learning curves.

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SHOW LIST" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 21:49:12 -0700

SOOOooo....
A few years ago we placed a really nice bitch with
someone in an area that has absolutely NO access to
ANY REPRO Vets of any kind....nor an airport that
will ship dogs.

To do a good breeding with her...he had fresh chilled
semen shipped in and I had him purchase what he needed
for an A.I.  Over the phone...I walked him through doing
his very first A.I..and his first time handling fresh
chilled semen shipped in with extender.
The  bitch conceived and whelped 6 pups.  Two are now
Champions and one he kept is a top producer...and, all
her breedings are all handled the same way...by him.
He has no alternative...and it works.  He has done
several this way.  One stud owner collected and shipped
semen herself and he had another outstanding litter
from the bitch and that stud dog.

Theres more......<G>

Recently I  purchased and sent him what was needed for
him to ship OUT chilled semen from HIS young stud.
( he has never handled owning a stud dog before )
He used the same 'Cardboard boxes' (kits) that had been
sent to him for breedings to his bitches.  These boxes
are VERY re-usable.  He collected his own stud and had
the local Vet check the semen before he added the
extender, packaged it and shipped it out himself with
Fed Ex.
REPRO Vet on the bitch end...checked the semen under
his microscope for a trans cervical.....and was AMAZED
at the quality.  He actually ASKED how the owner was
able to get the semen so concentrated.  Asked what kind
of Extender he used ( MOFA )...and the Vet knew the
Brand and said it was excellent.
Stud owner had merely followed the instructions on the
Kit I had sent, with the tubes and pipettes and extender
....and used the "used"  box  that he had saved from
packaged and shipped fresh chilled semen that had come
to him. ( normally we all pay close to $100.00 for those
cardboard 'disposable' kits. )  TCI on the bitch Friday.

Wait....There's more.......<G>

SOOOOOOoooo we tried a "learning curve".   He collected
again the next day...FRIDAY....Sent it for another overnight
delivery with Fed Ex.  It was picked it up Saturday, and kept
refrigerated all through Saturday and Sunday...for a Monday
morning implant.
COUNT IT! .....Friday, Saturday AND Sunday before being
checked under the microscope on Monday morning!!
Looking at this semen again before the TCI...same REPRO Vet
again said it was great.   Lots of motility...lots of
concentration, no deformities...a great collection...and a
definite GO for the Monday insemination.   and done.....

TWO shipments were STILL less expensive than ONE from a
REPRO Vet...and with two...a better chance of conception!

AND.....one more.  We used a stud dog twice a few years
ago.  Owner collected and shipped the semen without a Vet.
Two times..two litters..and a Champion from each litter.
Semen was absolutely great according to our REPRO Vet.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

http://showgsd.org/mail.html