[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Standing around looking pretty all day

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:55:58 EST

In a message dated 11/14/2005 7:11:22 P.M. Central Standard Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
In  one generation you can get pretty.  Try getting shoulders, bone,
head, chest, movement, etc. in one generation.  This shows IMO,  what a
good breeder is.............is when he can get the things  that the
standard requires, not just what is pretty to the  eye.
Paul adds...
The dog was bred to work and that requires movement of an exceptional  nature
to complete the task...

Ask yourselves this people on  "Da List"...if you were a sheep herder with a
head of 200 sheep what  would you want? Would you want a stallion male who
took twice as many  steps to herd you sheep or a more refined dog that could
cover ground  in big gulps?

Conformation requires we judge the entire dog and if  faults of gait are
"Very serious faults"...they should be judged  accordingly without being a
fault
Judge. There are a lot of dogs that  exhibit such gaiting abilities that no one
would ever doubt were a  standout male or female  GSD.
I was almost through with a post on the type-sidegait issue when I  read Paul
and Barbara's post respectively.  They basically had  everything I had in
mine and then some. If you look at the standard, there  is not but a few
paragraphs that deal with type.  The bulk of the  standard is transmission and
gait.
These are moving  dogs.   There is nothing that irks me more than to hear a
judge  at AB level say they like to be sure to send something pretty to  group.

I continue to ask where in our standard do they find  pretty.
For the most part, I find our breed looking typically what a German  Shepherd
should look like.  I find very few that can move according  to our standard.
But we all still want the "whole" package and  should strive to attain that.
Good sidegait comes with great  structure.  A mover gives me goosebumps.....a
pretty dog just does  not take me there.
Molly

Trillia  German  Shepherds