[ SHOWGSD-L ] Speaking seriously

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, GSDCALegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:24:45 EST

A couple of serious changes are occurring in the AR world.   It is now
Politically INcorrect for the AR groups to speak of themselves as Animal RIGHTS
groups.   Wayne Pacelle, donning the gray business suits and reading the signs
on
the wall, has spoken and now mandates that they are now Animal PROTECTION
groups.   Seeing the wincing of the politicians who have been educated by many
of
us about the extremist PETA and HSUS associations, Mr. Pacelle will no longer
accept the words RIGHTS in his vocabulary.   And he also stays away from
WELFARE, as too many of us have capitalized "Not animal RIGHTS, Animal WELFARE".

And for a hypocritical 180 degree turnaround, seeing the overwhelming
reception the Nathan Winograd's recently released book "Redemption" (which is a
"must-read" book) has received, Mr. Pacelle now embraces the no kill movement
with
all it's trimmings!   AND always HAS been (so all that we read before must
have been in another lifetime).

From his blog:
"On the other hand, we must not accept routine euthanasia as a social norm.
We should raise expectations and set aggressive goals, but recognize that
shelters can't do it without community engagement at every step. We must
continue
to reduce rates of relinquishment by ramping up affordable and accessible spay
and neuter options and helping people resolve normal pet behavior issues. At
the same time, we must show a renewed commitment to bring additional resources,
a sustained sense of urgency, diligence, volunteerism and creativity to
expand the number of suitable homes and adopt more animals. We can redesign
shelters to be more inviting to potential adopters, make it possible for
apartment
dwellers to have pets, develop sophisticated and research-driven marketing
campaigns, partner with other community-based institutions, and so much more.

 The problem is not unsolvable. Nationwide, only about 20 percent of dogs in
homes come from sheltersâ??the rest come from other sources. It would only take
a relatively small increase in the adoption rate along with a modest reduction
in the birth rate to go a long way toward solving the problem of euthanizing
healthy and treatable dogs in many communities."

This from a man who as recently as 2 months ago wrote that NO-Kill was
abusive, and euthanasia was preferable, and should not be instituted.

So now Mr. Pacelle wants to divide us and have us join forces with him (read
HUNTE???) against those lousy puppymillers...he's counting over "with  perhaps
as many as 10,000 puppy mills

 churning out dogs for the pet trade. The dogs suffer immensely, and
America's shelters are left to pick up the pieces."   I believe he must have
been on
the telephone with Judie Mancuso and Lloyd Levine for those figures????

Only, speaking from the other side of his mouth (AGAIN), he counts us
breeders who may have websites advertising our dogs as part of the puppy mill
problem.

Please while we have a small chance, let us all become active and stop the
hypocrisy, the inroads that these groups are taking into our rights to own and
enjoy our animals, as many as we choose to have, and take care of correctly,
intact or not.

I have been posting for a few years now (a few??) and still see that there
are people who prefer the ostrich posture over the upright and involved.
These
people are moving fast into your neighborhood, your city, your county, your
state, heck your Nation!   Let's PLEASE stop them and build good laws to
prevent them for growing stronger.

Within a few days, I hope to bring to your attention things that YOU can do
to help.
Thank you for listening.

Stormy Hope

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."

 Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

 See what's new at http://www.aol.com