[ SHOWGSD-L ] Speaking of AKC

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 13:27:41 -0700

To make sure you continue receiving AKC emails, please add
communications@... to your email address book.

Last year, AKC Member Clubs were invited to take part in the AKC
Registration Pledge Challenge. The primary goal of this pilot program
was to stimulate discussion about the need to register our puppies and
how registration benefits all of us in the AKC community. The
Challenge was conducted to encourage commitment at the club and member
level to increase AKC registration to further AKC's mission and
support the sport of purebred dogs.

We are pleased to announce that the overall Challenge winner is the
Shoreline Dog Fanciers Association of Orange County, which achieved
the highest "registration percentage" (Round 2). Shoreline club
members who took the pledge succeeded in registering over 80% of the
puppies born during the contest period, and are closing in on 100%.
Shoreline will receive a $1,000 award as Challenge winner.

Congratulations also go to the Devon Dog Show Association, as the
winner of the "member participation" (Round 1) segment of the Challenge.

Special recognition is extended to the Border Terrier Club of America.
Even though the BTCA joined in the Challenge after the deadline had
passed, club members mailed in the second highest number of pledges
among participating clubs. Other clubs that made extra efforts to
promote 100% AKC registration included the Dandie Dinmont Terrier Club
of America and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America.

Thank you to every Member Club that participated in the program, and
thank you to every delegate, club officer, newsletter editor and
webmaster who worked to raise awareness that registration revenue
provides funding for AKC's good works for dogs, including educational
outreach, support for canine health research, government relations
initiatives, and the events we all enjoy. The Challenge succeeded in
starting the conversation about the importance of increasing the
number of puppies that are individually registered from among AKC
litters.

In this spirit, we are happy to note that the Delegates' Parent Clubs
Committee will begin to tackle the issue of improving registration
rates at the June Committee Meeting in Atlanta, GA. And in the
meantime, Member Club officers and delegates can keep discussions going.

To quote Jennifer Stevens of Terrydale Kennels, "I think that we're
all responsible, at least partially, for the success of the purebred
fancy. I feel like saying, Do your part!. . . If it requires a little
extra effort to get people to register their puppies, it's worth doing."

Many of you are also members of AKC licensed clubs, so please make
100% AKC registration a topic at meetings and in club communications.
Share with fellow fanciers the different registration options:
        • Full Litter Process: Allows breeders to individually register all
puppies in the litter at the time of litter registration for a
discounted price.
        • Full Litter Offspring: Gives breeders who have already registered
their litters with the AKC a second opportunity to individually
register all the puppies in the litter at a discount, even though the
breeder originally selected the traditional litter registration.
        • Registration at the time of sale: Breeders ask their puppy buyers
to fill out the registration application and pay the $20.00
registration fee when they pick up their puppies (or simply include
the $20 fee in the price of the puppy). The breeder then submits the
registration and fee to the AKC. Or, breeders go online with the new
puppy buyer at the time of puppy pick-up and help them complete the
registration.
        • If registration cannot be completed at the time of sale, breeders
can follow up with the new owners to make sure the registration
process is completed. For assistance with follow-up, just add the
individual puppy information and new owner information in the AKC
Online Record Keeping System and the new owner will be sent an
automated reminder to register the new dog.
Thank you for being a part of this important first step in a process
that will help us understand that we are all in this together.

Sincerely,

Patty Van Sicklen
AKC Internal Consultant