[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sometimes I Ask Too Much Of You

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:37:38 -0500

                                                 SOMETIMES I ASK TOO
MUCH OF YOU

by

Barbara J. Galasso
You watch over and protect my  little Johnny and Sarah as they play in
the back yard while I cook dinner for the family....sometimes I ask too
much of you.

When it's late at night and the winds are howling and it's dark and
bleak , we hear a noise outside our back door, and you jump up barking
and running from window to window looking  to see who the intruder might
be....sometimes I ask too much of you.

When old Mrs. Henley, lonely and blue lays in her bedroom at her new
residency known as the nursery home, you are sent in to cheer her up and
put a smile on her face....sometimes I ask too much of you.

When little six year old Tommy Miller who lives down the street,
ventures out on the pond and falls through the ice, you are sent with a
rope wrapped around your waist into the fidget water to pull the
trembling boy to safety....sometimes I ask too much of you.

When you are the first one to step off the curb onto the street to lead
the blind man who cautiously follows you down the unfamiliar street with
cars and trucks noisily beeping their horns....sometimes I ask too much
of you.

When you are shipped across the United States to a city unknown to you,
and are greeted by a stranger who is called a "handler" and are taken to
an unfamiliar kennel where you'll live for the next six months of your
life while you are campaigned towards your championship....sometimes I
ask too much of you.

When I breed you to that famous dog and you suffer to bring ten puppies
into this world just so I can say I bred a champion or two....sometimes
I ask too much of you.

When you are the first one in the line of duty, and you are commanded to
attack the criminal and he turns with a knife in his hand and you take
that stab rather than the police man....sometimes I ask too much of you.

When you are sent with the soldiers to a foreign country and they go to
investigate an oncoming troop of enemies, you are the first one sent to
go forward and the first one to take the assaulting bullet....sometimes
I ask too much of you.

When you get old and gray and arthritis has robbed you of your youthful
gait and the light of life slowly fades from your eyes and your face
looks up to meet my tear stained cheeks as if to plead "today's the
day", and instead I say, "No.  One more day, just give me one more
day".....sometimes I ask too much of you.

And now as I hold and gently rock you in my arms and the reality of life
without you sets in, I kiss your forehead and tell you "its okay girl,
go on ahead to heaven which you already earned."  And if God should see
fit, could I dare, could I hope, could I ask one more thing of you,
would you then dear friend hold the doors open for me?'....sometimes I
ask too much of you.