[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: So much to learn and so much to doubt

  • From: "Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:14:23 -0700

I have the whole article in PDF file but can not send it here.

A de novo mutation in KIT causes white spotting in a subpopulation of German
Shepherd dogs

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/age.12006/abstract

Theresa
GSDCA Member
scenecrest@xxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 7/31/14, Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Re the pandas, since you asked (and I
 don't make scientific statements
 without
 knowing the quote is accurate and verifiable :) quoted below
 is a
 summary by Dr Mark Neff at UC Davis,
 who did the original mapping and
 continued
 research on the panda marking gene:
 "A
 unique coat color pattern, termed *Panda,*occurs in a single
 bloodline of
 German Shepherd Dogs. With the
 help of the founding breeder, Ms. Cindy McCann
 of Ohio, we have analyzed the DNA of Panda dogs
 and their non-Panda littermates
 using modern
 genetic tools. We have found the following:

 · The coat color pattern
 stems from a spontaneous mutation; it was
 not introduced from another breed or
 population.

 · The novel
 mutation occurred in the Sire's germ line, and was then
 passed down
 to his daughter, who was the
 only offspring of that sire to show the
 distinguishing
 markings.

 · In subsequent generations,
 the *Panda* pattern has exhibited an
 autosomal dominant mode of inheritance,
 consistent with the action of a
 single gene
 acting with full penetranpe.

 · No discernible health affects have been
 observed in these dogs,
 though a *double
 Panda* dog has not yet been produced.

 As the principal investigator
 of this study, I would be delighted to
 answer questions
 by breeders
 and owners who are interested in the genetics and biology
 of
 this coat color pattern. I can be
 contacted at:

 Mark Neff,