[ SHOWGSD-L ] Shut Up and Listen

  • From: marcatogsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:53:47 -0400

There comes a point, where a person has just had enough.  They sit, they
listen, and listen, and listen, knowing that they won't be able to give their
input for awhile.  And they learn, and learn, and learn, and do their best to
"know their stuff" when it comes to the breed they have an interest in.

My question is. when does it stop?  I don't mean the learning, but the "Just
listening"?  I can admit (and so can any other objective, free thinking, fair
minded person woh knows themselves), that I've said things that can be
offensive.  People tell me I come off as a knowitall.  Maybe I do.  Doesn't
mean I AM.  That's my personality...it's not going to change.  I've been this
way for 20 years.  People learn to read around my "Knowitallism", and my
cynicism, and my sarcasm.  They either learn, or they stay away from me.

I've been on this list for well over a year now, I've taken my lumps, I've read
and replied with questions, getting answers or not.  I've been told that I'm
"not important" enough to be heard....at least until I joined the GSDCA.  So I
did.

But, you know, if more people would start treating newbies like real people
instead of babies taking their first steps, the fancy would probably be growing
instead of shrinking.  I was in Shepherds for 4 or 5 years before joining this
list, I've been in performance for the last 3.  You think I don't know that
it's not a "hard road?"

You're wrong, I do.  I bought a dog who I very much loved and adored, and he
came to a tragic end due to somebody else's idiocy.  I had a lot of plans for
him and I.  My heart still hurts everytime I think about him.  But my other dog
needs me just as much.  He'll never be a champion because he's "Too German" and
his ear is busted, but he's a GREAT working dog.

You speak of the hard road to the championship.  What of the hard road to the
CDX, the OTCH, the MACH?  The RAE, the Obedience Victor?  What of those?  Do
you think their raod is any less difficult than the one to put points on your
dog and finish their championship?

I DO have things to offer the breed, and I've been privately e-mailed time and
again, more to be told "shut up and listen" than to be given encouragement.  I
want another show dog....I'd like to buy another GSD in the future and show it,
but right now, I just don't have the time and funds to travel everywhere
hunting for majors.  So, I'm saving up for my CWC, hoping he will turn out for
show.  I'll remain in my handling classes, trying to better myself, I'll
continue reading, and listening, and learning.

But, there comes a time when "Shut up and listen" should be over, and somebody,
no matter how new, gets to be heard, whether you agree with them or not.

To those of you who give me encouragement, though we may not always agree,
thank you.  To those of you who don't like me for my opinions and views, fine.
But the fancy needs more people, not less.

 - Jackie
All on demand. Always Free.