[ SHOWGSD-L ] Showing in the Specialty Conformation Ring by Ruth Scheubler

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:39:52 -0700 (PDT)

Sharted with permission of Ruth Scheubler

Showing in the Specialty Conformation Ring

Yes, it is expensive. We can all agree with that.

The April Review had ?Flower Boy?s? suggestions for how to make it affordable
to finish a dog ? show only where your dog can win. But is showing only when
your dog is ready for points and only under judges you know you have a REALLY
good chance under, the best plan?

I guess it is for THIS dog at THIS time. But are you planning on leaving the
sport and doing something else after this dog finishes? Or would you like there
to be specialty shows when your next generation is ready to show? That is
really the question.

I have often heard people say that it does not matter that it only requires
14-16 dogs to make a major, as those dogs are top quality. Even if you believe
that, do you actually think it will be possible for specialty clubs to continue
hosting shows for only about 35 conformation entries?

Now look at it from the specialty club?s point of view.  You are required to
hold shows in order to do most other AKC activities. With the AKC?s recent
approval of all-breed obedience, you no longer lose money on obedience trials.
Judges are generally local. There are fewer classes and special awards. The
participants are happy you are there. And many more of your active club members
participate in the performance events as they can work their own dogs rather
than hiring a handler.

Then you look at the conformation side ? if only those people who feel
confident they can win the points show up, you will lose a ton of money.
Exhibitors do not want local judges. With back-to-back shows, you can fly in
one judge, but not both. Conformation has more classes, requiring more
trophies/ribbons. Obedience participants don?t leave a park full of dead hair,
tend to pick up after themselves and are polite to club members. It generally
takes quite a bit of time to clean up after the conformation exhibitors to
guarantee we can get the park back.

So as a club, how much effort do you invest on the conformation show you hold
primarily for competitors who are not part of your club?

I recently looked at catalogs from several large specialty shows from both
Northern and Southern California. What I found interesting was how few owners
there were making up the entry. It came down to a very few people taking the
same dogs up and down the state. I know most of the owners and I can guarantee
you that they have been around for quite some time. So, not only do you have
few animals being shown, there are even fewer owners taking part. That is the
worst part. At this rate, we will all be having point scales rivaling those of
the Otter hound. But, as we have been told, those 5 dogs competing will be the
best possible quality.

I wonder how many independent specialty shows will remain. It would be much
easier to have the local all-breed?s GSD classes be considered the specialty
show and then invest the club?s time and energy in the performance events that
not only support themselves, but give your members a venue for their favorite
activities.

If you want to continue to have specialty shows with their large rings,
breeder-judges, and everything we expect, then it is up to the exhibitors to
support clubs who are willing to make the effort. Bring pups, bring the ?not
ready for prime time? adolescent, and let the club know you appreciate their
effort to give you a place to show.

So here is my suggestion for affordable showing ?

flashy nor as exciting. But it is certainly possible to select the best dogs ?
it was done for years.

Terry Cochran
www.FairwayShepherds.com
www.Rightdog.com    RightDog Photography