[ SHOWGSD-L ] Showing - and Health Issues

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:15:53 -0700

I know this is a show list, so this is what we need and should discuss. We
occasionally bring up other subjects while we go in different directions,
but always find our way back to actually showing the dogs and feel on top of
the world when there is a win or two and even a championship.
Congratulations to the winners!
And then we make plans for breedings., choose the right studs for our
bitches, check the pedigrees, see the ROM's, the OFA's, Champions, and of
course the well known names of dogs from the past. All there, it's a deal.
Stud fees don't matter too much, a little high, but what the heck, you get
some nice pups and then you can make up for it when you sell them.

Not so fast! We are going around in circles! Should we not check first what
the stud dogs and the bitches had produced before we decide? Were there any
problems, or worse, repeated problems in any litters on the ground? What
good are great dogs if there are problems passed on generation after
generation? Some of us do all this, many do not. They see the names and that
is good enough for them.

After breeding so many litters with or without health issues (as the saying
goes, after a while you've seen them all) would it not be more important to
have a dog that is healthy inside and out and most importantly, can produce
progeny that are? Are we too much taken by the exciting side gait, the
beautiful structure and correct movement? Are we not enough aware of the
inner qualities of our dogs? It would be great if we could see all this in
one package, but do we? The 13 Club actually tells us a lot. It should be
ranking right next to the championship.

Just my take,

Lee F.