[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Show size and numbers

  • From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: CODAGSD@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:19:18 -0400

There is a good article about this very point in the new AKC Gazette
(although it concerns AKC shows, not futurities). It's about the growing number
of dog
shows and the resulting decreasing in the point schedule and how that does
real harm to the dogs. I don't know if I agree with all of it, but the point is
one to consider: with lots of shows and few entries, a truly mediocre dog can
get all his minor points at small shows, maybe beating 2 or 3 even more
mediocre dogs, then luck out and get the two 3-point majors in a similar way and
become a champion having never faced any real competition. Then the dog can be
specialed at very small shows, again facing no competition, and add a bunch of

With 14 dogs for a major in our area it is not hard for a breeder who has a
full kennel to build their own major. Most of our shows in this area are now
MAJOR shows. Most of the time when you look in the ring and see the quality,
you ask yourself is this where the breed is going?

Lee Brown