[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sheep rancher and GSD breeder

  • From: Val Manning <terranorte@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:17:34 -0400 (EDT)

Ok gang, I often wear many hats in order to keep a roof over my head, my dogs
fed, vet bills paid, and support my habits. One of these is my "Rancher Val"
hat - it is the one that goes out everyday to feed and tend my flock of 50
sheep and dozen or so goats......... I have livestock to utilize when I have my
"Herding Facility/training center manager" hat on. Unlike most ranchers - my
everyday stock dog is a GSD, not a Border Collie or a Kelpie or even a cattle
dog. This is because another of my hats - I wear as a GSD breeder and
exhibitor. It is not that GSD's are the perfect herding dog for all operations
- but instead that they are my passion. In truth, the best herding dog for a
sheep operation is generally a sound stock fence and a feed bucket (just ask my
husband, the sheep whisperer). Most ranchers, myself included, cannot afford to
stand out in the middle of the field EVERYDAY for 2 hours in the morning and
another 2 hours in the afternoon to allow the sheep to graze. My time is better
spent wearing my "marketing consultant" and "herding instructor" and "officer"
of a variety of organizations so I can afford to buy the hay to feed the
livestock when there isn't enough grass to eat - because the sheep want to eat
EVERYDAY.

Why the tirade about hats? Mainly is it because real people with real farms and
ranches are not interested in recreational herding. Most have invested in
fencing to manage their stock without the constant supervision necessary in
tending. Most have Border Collies to go make those grand outruns because they
don't want to have to go walk to wherever the stock is standing. Most have day
jobs in town to provide their families with health insurance and a pay check.

This talk of structure and serious herding/working dogs is fine - but most of
it is the product of breeders who are marketing to those looking for the best
score at the herding, agility, schutzhund, fly ball score. I have American bred
AKC Champion conformation dogs - who herd sheep on a daily basis as do many.
Yes, they do have herding titles, but they have to work for a living as well.

Too much of anything is too much. Remember whenever you go to a specialty show
- whether it is GSDs, Arabian Horses, Lamborghini's.... you are going to see
extremes. That is what makes them special. The true dog breeder looks at those
extremes and decides where a little of this or that is going to enhance your
program.

Time to go out with Norah and see where my flock has disappeared to - this is
what happens when the human shepherd is inside multi-tasking.

Val Manning
terranorte@xxxxxxx
www.ranchoterranorte.com