[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: San Diego Critique~Long....

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:28:35 -0800 (PST)

       Thank you, Jamie, for  calling attention to the bitch's length of
  neck, shoulders placed well on and  WELL BACK.  These are elements
  addressed in our standard, but terribly lacking in some of our top
  winning dogs.       Carolyn
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx wrote:  I hate to write critiques because most of the
time they all sound the
same....good temperament, clean coming and going, nice mover, yada, yada.....it
has
to be boring reading.
   Well.....guess what?!  At this show, a star was born and I do mean a STAR!
 But let me start at the beginning.......
    The first thing to greet me when I arrived in San Diego and walked out of
the airport was a row of Bird of Paradise flowers in full bloom.  To someone
who lives in a desert, this was a magnificent welcome.  The very cordial Ann
Thompson was there to pick me up and as we circled and circled the airport
waiting for the obedience judge, I got to see more beautiful flowers growing
like
weeds everywhere.  You guys know how I love flowers, so I'm asking myself.
"why do you live in a desert?"
     The showground was great....healthy, thick grass and big ring......in
come the dogs:
    WINNERS DOG:  Paladin Polaris Nike Clayfield ~ From Am. Bred,  handled by
a Junior, (someone please refresh my memory for her name) this dog was shown
just the way I like it.....loose lead all the way.   No hiding faults, no
tricks.  He is a beautiful red sable male.  He has a smooth, easy,
ground-covering
gait.  This is because he is balanced.  He has a nice length and angle of
croup, so he gets "under himself" very well.  If I would change him, he would
have a heavier head and darker eye.  So what?  The sheep don't care about stuff
like that.
     RESERVE WINNERS DOG:  Rocknoll's Esprit De Corps ~ From Open,  handled
by Jerry Guzman, this is a very handsome, masculine male....very dark, body and
eyes, very polished, very sound, full-bodied and stable.  I liked him alot
but I felt he did not extend as well in front as my Winners Dog.
     WINNERS BITCH & BEST PUPPY:  Sater-Nordlicht Chevelle ~  This is the
star.  Handled  by Ken and Kathy Tank, her baby presence turns into stardom
when
you watch her move.  Beautiful length of neck, shoulders placed well-on and
well-back, firm back, correct length and angle of croup,
lovely turn of stifle, small hock, lower and upper thigh in corresponding
length, giving her grace and balance.  She also has that special something that
makes you know you are in the presence of a good one.  I will eagerly watch all
who are involved with this bitch with joy and anticipation.
     RESERVE WINNERS BITCH:  Mariner's Jenny From The Block:  Handled by
Cindy Tellefson, a  lovely, larger bitch with beautiful type.  Deep bodied,
very
dark in color and eye, alert expression.  I felt she did not have the smooth
rear drive of my Winners Bitch but she was over-all very nice and very elegant.
     BEST OF BREED:  Ch. Midnite Sun's Calypso ~ Handled by Jerry Guzman,
this black & tan bitch is so very free of faults,  easy-moving, polished,
serious
and determined that I could not deny her the BOB.  She is lovely in motion,
expression and temperament.  She commands respect.
     BEST OPPOSITE SEX:  Ch. Elvaston's Nations Cup:  Handled by Ken Tank,
the epitome and essence of maleness in a GSD.  This is all DOG, folks.  Perhaps
not his best show ever, but I loved and felt his presence as one we would all
like to own and live with.  He is a large, handsome, black and tan with
personality plus.
      Anyway, those were the dogs on the day.....hope it wasn't boring.
Thank you all from the San Diego club for inviting me.
      My best to you all,
       Jamie

POST  is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original
author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of  any kind

PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS  EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS  PROHIBITION WILL BE

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.