[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sample letter for Utah

  • From: candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:40:49 GMT

Here's the letter I did for Smithfield, Utah.

CandyZ

December 27, 2006

Chad E. Downs
Smithfield Mayor
69 N Main
Smithfield UT  84335

Dear Mr. Downs and Council Members:

As a German Shepherd Dog breeder in the state of Wyoming I recently
became aware of a new ordinance that was passed in Smithfield regarding
my breed as well as a few others being deemed vicious.  First and foremost I
believe it is the deed, not the breed that should be punished.  In over 35
years with my breed I have never had one of my dogs act viciously towards
anyone or attack.  In my 35 plus years as a breeder and showing dogs, going
to thousands of dog shows I have never seen any of the breeds you mention
being aggressive.  Again, it is the deed, not the breed.  Many dogs of many
breeds can be raised or poorly trained and end of up biting.

Each year I attend 2 all breed dog shows held in nearby Logan and several in
the state of Utah.  On the way there and back home again I have in the past
stopped in Smithfield to buy groceries or shop for other items.  Until you
rescind this ordinance, believe me I will no longer stop in your city nor
conduct any business there.  The newspaper article has made several dog
show lists on the internet and has made its way to several kennel clubs.
Maybe my buying power wonâ??t affect your community, but there are several
hundred people that come to dog shows in your area as well as professional
dog show handlers that now know and may change their buying practices
and/or go to dog shows in other states instead of supporting Utah shows!

Christmas Day my son and his wife had their first baby at the hospital in
Logan.  My husband mentioned stopping for gas in Smithfield.  I told him no,
that we needed to go on into Logan because of your new ordinance.

Please reconsider and remember, itâ??s the deed, not the breed!

Sincerely,

Candice L. Zumwalt
Candiaâ??s German Shepherds