[ SHOWGSD-L ] SPEAKING OF JUDGES....

  • From: "Bonnie Dinsmore" <vonadlerhof@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:41:34 -0400

As I was reading the posts in regards to "A list of Judges," and it got me
thinking about a recent show where my 6 month old puppy had a 2nd Place ribbon
withheld.
As a newbie, I was told to get my pup into the ring for experience, I was
concerned because he had a touch of Pano, but the vet assured me he was fine.
He wasn't moving as well as normal, but not in obvious pain. I figured  Judges
know young pups can be a little gimpy at times, but I really wanted to get him
out and get him accustomed to the show atmosphere. I didn't expect any 1st.
place ribbons. When 2nd was withheld, I was embarrased. My handler (WELL
KNOWN), couldn't even tell me why this happened. This same pup took 4th place 2
days before this event at a Specialty show, and my handler and I believed he
had done better this day. This puppy comes from excellent bloodlines. No, this
does not guarantee a top winning dog, but to then see the same judge award 2nd
place to a black, cream, and silver dog that same day, (also a major fault, as
is movement-but movement can improve  with age,) it makes me wonder why their
2nd place wasn't withheld? I know, different judges see one fault worse than
another in their eyes. It's their opinion, but shouldn't we at the very least
try to encourage newbies to give it a shot? Thanks to all at ringside who gave
such nice comments on my boy. A few very well respected breeders made my day
with their encouraging words, on a day they were truly needed! This experience
made the Obedience ring look so good to me! At least when I screw up there, I
get a pat on the back and a smile from other exhibitors who have "been
there...done that!" I believe this Judge (ALSO WELL KNOWN) could have been a
little more supportive. After all, 2nd place is not a threat to the
competition, and I know many gorgeous Champion dogs that were once sold as
"pets", only to reappear as very fine animals. A 6 month old should have "fun"
in the ring. Not be severely penalized as one would expect from an adult dog.
Just Venting,

Bonnie Dinsmore
Von Adlerhof German Shepherds
http://vonadlerhof.tripod.com