[ SHOWGSD-L ] SO MANY Questions....so little time.

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx>, <DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx>, <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Dglov49@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 16:20:33 -0800

I knew an old time Breeder in our area  many years ago that had a litter of
EIGHT puppies
and the entire litter had to be put down with M.E.!    She had never had it
before......and
stubbornly repeated the breeding and did not get any!!?
I understand that other  Breeds have the same problem......but that it's
inheritance
characteristics are different in some Breeds........especially in the German
Shorthair?
I have been told by one Aussie breeder that their  breed does not have
M.E......I have
been told by other Aussie people that it DEFINITELY  does.......?

How does it work when your stud dog has many, many, MANY litters with
absolutely
none......even with bitches with " the problem in the line".....inbred and
outcrossed, and
then all of a sudden he has a litter with 2 or 3 with someone's
bitch.........??
Do you then shoot the stud and all his progeny that are already breeding?
Same with a
bitch ......if she has three litters with NONE.....but on the fourth litter you
get 1...or 2 and
yet her breeding career is pretty much over anyway......and her progeny have
already been
bred and so far there are none.....  How do we go about eliminating what we do
not know?

Also....why do we always refer to the "bad"  things as a recessive gene...?
Why are we
always so sure that it is recessive?    I recall the article in the Review that
suggested the
possibility that only one has to be the carrier for M.E.
Are we  SO SURE  this is not polygenetic......  ???
Sure if we KNOW the answer we can eliminate it.....but do we really know yet
without DNA?
AND....what else  are we eliminating at the same time.......or bringing IN with
each breeding.

I have no answers.........

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

"Ok, then why did this dog produce it in one litter and not the other 4  he
had?  I am not
sure anyone really knows it would be  absolutely wonderfull  if they could do a
study on this
  problem.  As least then we would  know.  Find the gene  etc..."   Deb

                                                --------------------------

I suspect there also needs to be a trigger or another gene  involved.
When I first started breeding GSD's I had one mega puppy in  my first litter of
six.
My vet said he didn't know if mega was  inheritable so I did breed the same
parents
again - twice.  There were  no affected puppies in a litter of 10 or the
following litter
of 9.   Two generations later I did get one other mega puppy.   This  doesn't
look  to me like a pure recessive - I'm looking forward to  the results of the
genetic
research into this.

Most of the puppies from those litters were spayed or neutered in pet homes.
Other
 than the bitch I kept and bred once, I  only know of two others that were
bred, and
they didn't produce any mega in the litters they had.
Janice