[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ]was ear hematoma - now question?

  • From: Schattengsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, wasatchgsd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 03:47:37 EST

Today I experienced the second ear hematoma with my dogs.  My seven  year old
bitch, Baby, has had cronic ear infections all her life.  I was  always able
to get to them immediately with fast treatment and clear it  up.  But this
time it was a losing battle.  Yesterday the ear looked  very weak but there was
no signs of any build up of blood in the ear.   This morning it was certain
what we had so off to the vets we went.  She  came home this afternoon with
three
buttons sewed in her ear.  Yes, they  are truly buttons that we would have on
our own clothes.
She isn't showing any signs of discomfort and is actually in great  spirits.
She is on antibiotics and a treatment of tresederm with two  follow up
appointments in 7 and 14 days.  Her ear is almost standing up but  the vet did
say
that it could fold down if the cartledge was too broke down from  the weight of
the blood collecting in the ear.  Never a dull moment.

Lois Gregor
Schatten Shepherds
Sonoma, Ca.

In a message dated 11/22/2008 8:39:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 11/22/2008 6:21:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds writes:
Every now and again I see this on the list and  different methods  suggested
for vets to try to correct....I have  this vague notion that it  involves
trauma
then bleeding....what  causes this?

There are several different things that can  cause an  aural hematoma Kathy,
but anything that results in "head  shaking"   like chronic ear infections, a
build up of yeast in  the ear etc, even a  bee sting or bug bite.  Anything
that
promotes a hard shake can cause  a vessel in the ear to break and  blood
starts
to build up and create a  pocket in the ear with edema.

Molly