[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ]was ADVERTISING PC WEBSITE, questions on codes

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 07:05:36 EDT

Carolyn, excellent post.  To answer your question:

"I know we need something......but I have no answers in a law suit
world......to those that do .......lets hear it."

Actually I think it's an EASY fix.  Right above where a person signs,
there needs to be a paragraph that  says that in the case of disputes a  review
committee will have the final say and that <by signing below>  the member
agrees to abide by the review committee's decision and in  all cases indemnify
the  committee members and the PC and hold them  harmless.

We have enough attorneys around that can get the verbiage right  <G>.

And as far as "or cannot be enforced when
someone abuses  it......."

That's easy too IMO.  You set up a review committee, the person filing  the
complaints puts their grievance in writing, a copy is sent to the party
involved and they have 30 days to respond.  The committee is provided  copies
of any and all documents and meets telephonically once a quarter.   Both
parties are notified in writing of the decision (say within 10 days)  following
the review. In cases where it is deemed necessary that some
action/sanction needs to be taken, there needs to be a deadline for the  action
and after
that, whatever penalty is imposed...happens (i.e. no  longer a signer in
good standing).

It's not on Jamie's plate to review/police anything unless she receives a
complaint.

I also want to point out (and I do something very similar on conference
calls every Tuesday & Thursday) that only complaints that have something to
do w/ the actual code (breeders, or proposed code of ethics) should/would be
considered by committee.  "My dog has a questionable temperament", "ears
didn't come up", "isn't a super star", "developed a health issue later  on"
would be heard, but IMO would all receive a similar form letter  that their
grievance isn't one that is covered by the BC or newly proposed  general code
of ethics.

In fact, in the real world, contracts have limitations and a review
committee cannot enforce a guarantee where none existed.

BTW, re the rest of the questions below, there's nothing in the current
code that says anything about early spay/neuter and in fact you can breed a
bitch as often as you like. Over three times in a row needs to be vet
recommended, quoting "never permitting them to produce three consecutive
litters
unless breeding consecutive litters is recommended by a veterinarian."

Many other clubs have worked this out.  I know Jamie worked hard on
proposed changes and I certainly hope we can get it all worked out too.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 5/15/2009 2:49:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Jamie  worked very hard on the Breeders Code.......and she was disappointed
and  discouraged
when no action was taken.........we all were...... but there is  always
questions to consider and no
one has the answers.
The problem is  that it is pointless to have one that no one will sign
.......or cannot be  enforced when
someone abuses it.......or have some sign it but not abide by  it just so
they can advertise or become
a member of a Club for appearance  of respectability.
The Board, or the Club, or the Chair policing it is the  problem.     Just
think about it.......how can we?

I believe some of the ideas suggested a huge puppy mill could  sign.....
and still function as a huge
puppy mill.     It  does not change the quality or health of the pets or
show dogs placed nor the  huge
volume of dogs kept,   nor the quality of the Breeder /  seller nor their
honesty and love and care of
the dogs  if you really  look at it.  It is a piece  of paper.......only as
good as the  Breeders word and
integrity.

SO........you have all your pet  puppies spayed and neutered within a
certain age,  ( I personally do  not
want our pet buyers to spay or neuter early .....)  and you only  breed
your bitch every 3rd season,  and
buyers have a puppy examined  by a Vet within 72 hrs.... but your sales
contract could be useless when
a  real problem arises for the buyer or the pup anyway......or the breeder
may be  one who does not care
or co-operate after that time frame.     (..what happens a week or months
later if the puppy has problems  )
Already  many are already going to another source besides OFA,
etc......AND.... you could still breed a
bitch in hideous health or  quality or temperament as long as there were 2
seasons in between?
And who decides what is a "quality"  breeding is .....or is a  genetic
issue to disqualify any dog as a quality
animal for breeding....or  keeps tabs on how often a bitch is bred.....or
decides if the dog has had  enough
socialization and exposure as compared to sitting  in a kennel  too much.
   The Board?        Jamie?
My point is......If it is not enforceable.... how can it be  used  just to
advertise.    There are other forms of
advertisement that do not require it anyway......and again.....how do we
as a Board police it if we do
pass it?     Reasonable  Suggestions appreciated......?

Bottom line.........it will not make  a good honest concerned caring
Breeder better.....and not signing will
not  make them not.    It just puts a lot of responsiblity on those of us
who would have to enforce it.
As one person suggested.......I like the idea  of a Code of Ethics before
someone joins the Club to begin with.

Carolyn     marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com