[ SHOWGSD-L ] SHOWGSD-L ] OFA question....Breeders Code

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:00:08 -0700

Syd, Fred and Christine make excellent points.
You don't throw out a dog that has EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN YOUR PROGRAM, for
a lack of a number.
When you breed for one trait, like OFA hips and elbows, while preferable,
should not EVER be the sole focal point for choosing a breeding animal.
When you breed for a single trait, like sidegait only, ofa only, color only
(fill in blank____) then your other attributes usually head to MEDIOCRITY,
at best.  Nature gravitates to the middle , it is natural...so while I have
seen kennels that boast "OFA only " stock...I can tell you that they are
also generally a shining example of average or worse in every other trait.
Like Christine I absolute eschew bad temperament.  Yes admittedly I like a
tough dog (personal preference) but I INSIST on correct temperament, which
in GSDs covers everything from guide dogs to police dogs.
I wouldn't suffer a coward to live.  I won't give the dog the status of
being a real GSD...because w/o temperament, and character...IT WILL NEVER
BE.
If it has a shadow on an elbow, or junk in an otherwise decent hip.  If the
OFA ancestry is reasonable, then one would still have a GOOD GSD.

Germans "A" stamp hips...and grade them with zuchwercht (sp)
numbers...these  are TOOLS, and they view them as such.   Americans , some,
tend to throw out a really good representative of the breed simply because
of a stinkin number?   NO WAY, NO THANKS...I have to take the WHOLE DOG into
account first.  OFA/OVC are TOOLS, nothing more.  For us, they are not the
sum of the picture , but a contributing fraction of the BIG PICTURE.

Also  xrays are sent to the radiologists at OFA and they get home and pour
over SCANS of dogs' xrays...NOT the original....so take one vet, comes home,
maybe tired, maybe has a toddy, or is distracted...looking at a SCAN......
and suddenly the shadow on an elbow becomes "DJD" or dysplasia...when a
good vet would have sworn it was a really good xray.   Who you going to
believe?

I don't believe in breed wardens, although there are times that I see dogs
peeing on themselves or dragging their rears around that I think .....maybe
a good idea.  But in this country it is about FREEDOM, and CHOICES, MAKING
DECISIONS ON WHAT ONE BELIEVES IS BEST FOR ONE'S OWN PROGRAM....you may get
stars, you may fall on your face.  But that is MY decision .  Not a panel,
not an individual and not by virtue of signing a paper.

Happy Sunday,
Kathy

--
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com