[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] I own dogs who live in a kennel and I am a breeder. And that’s my final word.

  • From: murfamx4@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:31:42 -0400

Thank you for posting this it is spot on.  The only thing I would like to add
is the legal reason the AR people are trying to change "Owner" to "Guardian" is
to take your rights away.
If you "OWN" an animal you are protected by the US Constitution and have the
right to own property and use that property in any legal way.  This includes
breeding, selling of pups, giving immunizations, having the dogs altered or
not etc....  If you are the Guardian you don't have these rights any longer.
The Government (run by AR) will then be able to mandate exactly what you can
and can't do with the animals.   This isn't going to stop with dogs and cats
but will continue to Cattle, Pigs, Chickens, Lambs..............(you get the
point).  This would put an end to meat production and the world becoming Vegan.
  This is the majority of what they are working toward.  PETA's #1 goal.
They are smart and know they can't come in and simply change everything at
once.  Slowly they are getting changes made and people say "well that's not to
bad".
  All you have to do is open your eyes and look around you this is already in
motion.  I wish I had the answer to stopping this.  But the American public
doesn't seem to be aware or care enough to stop this.

Glenn
Shaden Shepherds

  Author: "Elizabeth Brinkley" elizabeth@dantekenn els.com
 Mon Jun 30, 2008
 Below is an article I wrote for a breed magazine. It is copyrighted and will
e published in 4 breed magazines over the next few months by Reporter
ublications. Since it's my article, I am giving permission for it to be
rossposted with attribution to myself and Reporter Publications.
 Elizabeth
  The Power of Language
  Whatâ??s in a word? A lot of power for good or bad. When did being a breeder
ecome a "bad" thing? When I first got into Shelties, my mentors proudly had a
ign out front proclaiming _______ Kennels. They knew they sold (yes I said SOLD
 not placed or adopted) quality show dogs and healthy pets. They were proud of
heir dogs and their hobby. I was so looking forward to the day when I could
ave a couple of acres out in the country and do the same. Now I feel cheated. I
ave a sign out front - in very small letters it says my kennel name but ONLY
he name not the word "kennel". Thereâ??s another sign nearby. It says "Posted -
o trespassing" . Guess thatâ??s a sign of the times.
  Friends tell me they donâ??t have a "kennel". Their dogs are kept in "dog
rooms"
ot kennel rooms. Others say "ALL my dogs are house dogs". When did keeping dogs
n a kennel become a bad thing? When did keeping multiple dogs become bad?
everal of our founders made a substantial part of their income from the sale of
et puppies. Now people hide their numbers and wonâ??t even tell other breeders
xactly how many dogs they have. Others say "I only breed for myself". When did
t become a hateful thing to breed a pet or two? Or even (horrors - gasp) make a
rofit from puppy sales? I know I am always proud when I sell a puppy to someone
ho will show it but thatâ??s not because I am ashamed that I may have produced
pet quality" puppy but because I am proud that my pups are going to a home
here they will be active mentally and physically in breed and performance
ings. I am proud that someone who shows would want a puppy I produced. I am
qually pleased and proud when I place
 a healthy pet with someone who will cherish and spoil it for a lifetime.
  In the last twenty years, there has been a gradual mind change in our
country.
art of it is simply that we are becoming a more urban/suburban country and far
ess rural. People donâ??t grow up on farms working with animals on a daily
basis.
ets have become the replacement for children for many upwardly mobile people
ho spoil them and treat them as "furkids" and "furbabies". I cringe every time
 hear those words - especially from a breeder. The pet industry is a
ultimillion dollar money machine with clothes, and soft crates and designer
reats for pampered pooches. Celebrities use them as accessories. And the fact
hat they are ANIMALS is forgotten. No wonder people raise such a fuss when a
og "bites" someone. An animal did what animals do and most likely some where a
uman made a mistake with that animal either the owner in training it or the
erson who approached it. When I was a child it was drilled into us - NEVER
pproach a strange animal. Wonder how many kids get
 any training in that today? If you want to know the true facts on the "dog
ite" epidemic in our country read "Dogs Bite But Balloons and Slippers Are More
angerous" by Janis Bradley. You are more likely to get hit by lightening or
lip and fall in a bathtub than you are to be killed by a dog attack. But people
ave forgotten they are animals. They think of their dogs as their "fur child"
nd they feel a sense of betrayal and rejection when they get bitten by their
og or it bites someone else.
  The other part of this equation is far more insidious. The animal rights cult
as grown and spread and is fast becoming part of our mainstream thinking. With
hem comes the use of words such as "puppymill". Every time I hear some breeder
ointing at another breeder and calling them a puppymill I want to smack heads
nd take numbers. I donâ??t feel a need to go into depth on this issue since
harlotte Clem McGowan has done a fabulous job covering the subject in her
ecent article. I will simply say that in thirty four years in this breed, I
ave NEVER gone to visit a so-called "puppymill" breeder in Shelties that
ctually turned out to be a "puppymill". Sometimes they had more dogs than some
eople approved of and sometimes they didnâ??t "keep" their dogs the way others
hink they should, but never have they turned out to be "puppymills" such as the
R groups love to show on TV with the filthy wire cages and sad-eyed dogs
allowing in their own filth. In fact two breeders th
at
 someone called a "puppymill" have ended up being among my best friends.
ealousy was the reason for those accusations. I have visited horrible breeding
ituations with rescue but never was it someone who was actually a Sheltie show
reeder. Maybe I have just been lucky - or maybe itâ??s not as common a
situation
s the AR groups would have us believe.
  The Humane Society of the United States has just announced to the media that
here are 900 puppymills in the state of Virginia, many of them "unlicensed
ommercial kennels" and selling puppies through the Internet. You couldnâ??t
hide
00 unlicensed puppymills in the entire state of Virginia. Most likely some of
hose "unlicensed and selling through Internet" breeders they are referring to
re US - show breeders who keep our numbers down so we donâ??t have to be
licensed
s commercial and have fancy websites to show off our dogs. The animal rights
anatics consider ANYONE who breeds even ONE litter to be a puppymill. Their
otto is "donâ??t breed while others die" meaning the dogs put down in shelters.
ou can read Nathan Winogradâ??s excellent new book "Redemption, The Myth of Pet
verpopulation" for a commonsense approach to this "problem" that the shelters
nd AR groups are using as a weapon to attack breeders.
  Other word changes brought into common usage by the AR groups is that of
rescue" and "adoption" and "placement" and homevisits. It has become harder to
ake in a stray than to adopt a human child. I wonder how many people have
otten turned off by some of the attitudes found in the more radical "rescue"
roups and gone away when they would have been an excellent home for an animal
ut didnâ??t feel like being subjected to an inspection process that requires a
ife history before they can have a pet. I was refused an "adoption" on a cat a
ew years ago. The reason - I had intact dogs! What did they think - the dogs
re going to breed the cat? Or I am a bad person because I have intact dogs that
 show? This goes hand in hand with the move among the AR groups to change the
anguage of the law from animal "owners" to animal "guardians". I am sure a
awyer could address this in far better detail than I but I do know that the
ord "guardian" has well established limits and defi
nitions under current law. Do you really want some AR slanted animal control
fficer able to come into your home at anytime without a warrant and tell you
hat you canâ??t remove dewclaws or write you a ticket because your dogs donâ??t
ave water bowls in their crates 24/7? That could be our future if we become the
guardians" of our dogs instead of proud owners.
  There comes a point where we have to start drawing lines in the sand and
efusing to give in to the politically correct language that has infiltrated
ociety from the far out AR groups who really donâ??t seem to like animals all
hat much. Mostly they just seem to hate people. To Ingrid Newkirk of PeTA "A
at is a pig is a boy." To me "a dog is a dog is an animal". I am proud to say
hat I am a breeder of purebred Shetland Sheepdogs. Shakespeare said "that which
e call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet." And dog poop is still
ust as stinky.
  I own dogs who live in a kennel and I am a breeder. And thatâ??s my final
word.
  Elizabeth Brinkley
 Legislative Liaison
 Three Rivers SSC of Greater Pittsburgh

 Ginger Cleary
 "... more harm and misery have been caused by men determined to use coercion
o stamp out a moral evil than by men intent on doing evil."-- Fredrich v Hayek
 My Ebay site  My Cafepress store
 Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/  _._,_.___
OST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the original
re permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the
MANNER