[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Coats? Â Why worry?

  • From: "Oak&Carrie Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:17:34 -0600

Pauline wrote:  "Paula, it may be of interest to you that this is the GSD
that
> earned  the FIRST GSD Grand Champion Award."

I have shown against this bitch several times. Though I do not personally
find her my cup of tea I have NEVER seen any evidence that she is anything
but a plush coated bitch. This at close quarters in the BOB ring.  Further I
have had that handler show for me on several occasions and he NEVER doctored
my male that he showed in any way what so ever, even when it might have been
to some advantage to do so. I still remember Evan once saying that he
noticed a lot of CH who changed color after finishing their championships.
Probably just an age thing I am guessing.
I may be wrong but I believe you all are way of the mark on this. Like her
or don't like her, I believe she is just a plush coat, who happens to be
winning a lot.

Now if a bitch who is plush is not allowed to come into heat does she become
even plusher?

Sure does seem like a lot of top bitches don't seem to blow coat like a
regular bitch coming into heat, but what do I know?

As to whether a coat should be shown?
It is not a disqualification but a fault.

I remember seeing a nice long coated black bitch show many years ago in the
all breed ring. She went BOB and on to group.
The group judge, even though she was first in the ring, asked loudly "Please
bring the Belgian Sheep Dog to me".
Needless to say the handler, a very well known woman who at that time was
showing the number one GSD in the country, (just not at that particular
show) went ballistic.
It was amusing to watch.
Nice bitch though who sired many PLUSH coated Champions.
:{)

JMO
Oak
Carrie & Oak Smith